Summary: This simple but powerful prayer takes human need and places it in the hands of Almighty God.
1. A few weeks ago I wondered how many lives had ended with two words, “WHO cares?”
2. This morning I am wondering how many lives have been saved with two other words, “HELP, LORD?”
3. There is no more SIMPLE or INTENSE than this one!
4. Most of us have prayed this prayer at some time of the other.
I want to focus this morning on two implications of this prayer.
1- Asking God For Help Means I Recognize Our Own LIMITATIONS.
1. “Help, Lord” is a recognition of personal NEED. (Dependence)
Ps 70:5 But I am poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: thou art my help and my deliverer; O LORD, make no tarrying. (KJV)
2. The Hebrew word rendered "HELP," is used for all manner of saving, helping, delivering, etc.
3. This short simple prayer will SUIT us for most of what happens to us in every day living.
4. Asking for help presupposes that we INTEND to cooperate.
ß On 9-11-01 many people prayed this prayer who have since forgotten it.
ß Barna, “No real spiritual change after 9/11.”
2- Asking God For Help Means I Recognize God’s ABILITY.
1. Only GOD is beyond the need of help.
Mt 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
Lk 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
2. Asking God for help must be mixed with FAITH.
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Heb. 11:6 (KJV)
3. Faith in God in practical terms means that I believe…
ß God is an ABLE God.
ß God is a GOOD God.
ß God is a CARING God.
ß God is a RESPONSIVE God.
3- Asking God For Help Means I am a Believer in the Power of PRAYER.
For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. 24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. Mk. 11:23-24 (KJV)
1. God has PROMISED to answer prayer!
Ps 34:15 The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.
Ps 34:17 The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.
Ps 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
Ps 50:14 Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High: 15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.
Ps 91:15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
Ps 145:18 The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth. 19 He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them.
Mt 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.