Summary: Guidelines on how to quit your stinking thinking.
Developing A Clean Thought Life
Mat. 5:27-28; Psalm 119:9-15
A child delights in what he has,
a youth delights in what he does, and
an adult delights in what he is.
Introduction: What is wrong with pornography?
A. It is psychological poison.
1. An addiction effect
2. An escalation effect
3. A desensitizing effect
4. An acting out effect
B. It is a social sickness.
C. It is domestically damaging.
D. It is spiritually shattering.
I. Admit your problem and get clean. (Psalm 119:9)
· “Way” - rut, groove, one track mind,
· God will never cleanse an excuse, never cleanse an alibi, but God will always cleanse a sin.
· You can be clean, today - regardless.
· The instrument of cleansing is the Word of God
· John 15:3 - Clean - catharsomose - catharsis.
· 1 John 1:9 - In order to stay clean, you have to first get clean.
II. Affirm your purpose to stay clean. (Psalm 119:10)
· Half hearted religion is an insult to God, and it does no good.
· James 1:8
· James 4:8
· Deut. 4:29
· Daniel 1:8
III. Apply your protection to keep clean. How to use the Bible to stay pure
1. Memorize the Word of God. (Psalm 119:11; Phil 4:8-9)
· We cannot think two thoughts at the same time.
· If we are thinking what we ought to think, we can’t be thinking what we ought not to think.
2. Personalize the Word of God. (Psalm 119:12;
· Is there a lesson to learn?
· Is there a sin to avoid?
· Is there a blessing to avoid?
· Is there a promise to claim?
· Is there a new thought to carry with me?
3. Verbalize the Word of God. (Psalm 119:13; Rev 12:11)
4. Vitalize the Word of God. (Psalm 119:14-16; “rejoice”, “respect”, “delight”
5. Internalize the Word of God. (Psalm 119:15; meditate = ruminate, humming.