Summary: Sometimes our churches need to be reminded of our purpose.
DID YOU FORGET SOMETHING?
1. Just like many other people, I seem to always forget to do
things, or I forget where I put something.
a. An excellent example of this is the fact that I lose
my Bible almost every week and forget where I sat it
2. One of my enjoyments of life is watching sports.
a. I really enjoy basketball and football, but I will also
watch tennis, baseball, golf, etc...
b. Although I enjoy watching these, I really don’t "pay
attention" to what is happening until the last quarter
or the last couple of minutes of the game.
c. Why is that?
1. The reason is simple, it is because no matter
what happens during the game, my main
concern is the outcome; who is going to win?
2. The unfortunate part of that is many times I
hear about great plays and things that
happened by other people that I missed out on.
3. With Revival Services starting Wednesday, we are in
essence in the last quarter.
a. Big Deal! Right?
b. I’m sure we will have many more opportunities and
many more Revival Services.
c. Or will we?
4. I believe we are already seeing Revival begin, but will it
a. If it is to last this time, why has it not in the past?
5. About 2 months ago on a Wednesday night, everyone
broke into groups to pray and Tharon came up and asked
if he could pray with me.
a. I was very touched that my son wanted to come pray
with me, so while I dried my eyes a little bit, I asked
him to pray first.
b. Now remember at 7 years old sometimes we hear
things and repeat them a little different from what
c. Let me share with you a portion of his prayer.
6. "Dear God, thank you for loving the world so much that
You sent Your only forgotten Son to die for us on the
7. We all know, including Tharon now, that the verse says
"His only begotten Son"; but this really made me stop and
a. We wonder why we don’t see a spiritual awakening
or even a spiritual awareness not just in our world
but even in our churches today?
b. It is because we generally live our lives in a way that
has forgotten who we are as Christians, Who we
serve as Christians, and why we serve Him.
c. Let’s look at some Biblical examples of churches this morning that have forgotten some things and the solution that God has for us to start fresh.
I. Forgotten Love Revelation 2:4-5
A. The Problem (vs.4).
1. This was an active church.
a. It had not went off into heresy.
b. It had not brought disgrace to the name of Christ through immorality.
c. So what did they do?
2. The spirit of love had evaporated out of people’s hearts.
a. The church services became an empty show.
b. We can have the best building, the best music,
perfectly planned services; but if it is not all
done in love for Christ, it means nothing and
God is displeased.
3. The people of this church had lost their first love.
a. They were going through the motions out of
obligation, not out of love for God.
b. Why are you here?
c. Why do you want to see revival?
B. The Solution (vs.5).
a. Remember how you loved Jesus when you first
b. Now stop and compare that to now.