Summary: Jesus’ desire for all of humanity is Wholeness!
OCTOBER 22, 2000
INTRODUCTION: 1. Smile make them think your happy, Lie and say that things are fine, And hide that empty longing that you feel, Don’t ever show it, Just keep your heart concealed! 2. Why are the days so lonely? I wonder where, where can the heart go free? And who will dry the tears that no one sees? Caught like a leaf in the wind, Looking for a friend where can you turn, Whisper the words of a prayer and you’ll find Him there, Arms open wide Love in His eyes. Chorus: Jesus, He meets you where you are, Oh, oh, oh, Jesus, He heals your Secret scars, All the love you’re longing for is Jesus, Friend of the Wounded Heart! Wayne Watson
Transition Thought: The reality of life is Dis-Ease! Not Disease, But dis-ease. This is life without ease, without peace, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and even physically. Our text for today brings us up close and personal to the one who can take away our dis-ease, but do we want Him to?
Transition Sentence: Jesus’ desire for all of humanity is Wholeness!
I. THOUGHTS ON BEING SICK
A. Joe Dongel’s story about the board nailed to the foot!
B. Frank: sick all my life: Don’t ask, “how are you today?”
C. HIV story: contrast to men: Bob, straight to the Dr. and Steve doesn’t want to go!
D. Relatives who bought wheel chairs while in their 50’s, just knowing the time would come?
OUR TEXT: Verses 1-6 tell the story of a down and out fellow who had been an invalid for 38 years.
Joe’s thoughts: This man doesn’t want to be well, he likes being sick! Money, attention, sympathy!
Betty Cearley’s help here: Just resolved to be sick, no help available.
PRINCIPLE: SPIRITUAL SICKNESS IS NOT AN OPTION!
Verse 1 and chorus, #238, I would not be denied!
II. THOUGHTS ON HEALING
A. The place of healing is important, but not the solution!
1. Hospital waiting rooms don’t heal, hospitals do not heal!
2. DR’s. Offices don’t heal!
3. Churches don’t heal! Being here today doesn’t not mean you are spiritually well. It may merely be a sign that you are appeasing your conscience.
B. Humanities rationalizations against healing
1. Textual story: Verse 7. He doesn’t answer the question, but only comes up with an excuse:
2. How had he gotten there in the first place?
3. And what is up with this water? What is up with this system and place? 4. Our story: Having I been trying to get healed?
5. What do I really want out of this life?
6. Am I happy with my present condition?
PRINCIPLE: WE MUST GET BEYOND EXCUSES AND ANSWER THE QUESTION, YES OR NO!
VERSE #2 AND CHORUS, #238, I WOULD NOT BE DENIED!
III. JESUS RESPONSE TO SICKNESS AND HEALING
A. Does Jesus listen?
1. Does Jesus care about my circumstances?
2. Do my circumstances limit Jesus response?
3. Jerry Lumston on our lack of Faith! We used to believe!
B. Textual Account: Verses 8 through 15
1. Jesus does not listen to the life circumstances of this poor man!
2. Jesus simply heals the man!
3. The man must respond and does! Note the three commands: Get up! Pick up, and Walk! Jesus always asks us to be a part of the solution!
4. The religious crowd of the day have strange rules that hinder ministry! 5. Jesus finishes what he starts! He does “follow up!”
6. Continuing to sin is never the answer to His Healing!
7. Jesus is always the focus, not the one healed, or the healing itself. WHO DID THIS? FROM I DON’T KNOW TO JESUS!
PRINCIPLE: THE POWERS THAT BE WILL ALWAYS OPPOSE GOD’S PLAN
AND JESUS ALWAYS MOVES US FROM THE PHYSICAL REALM TO THE SPIRITUAL: WHAT IS OF PRIMARY IMPORTANCE!
VERSE #3 AND CHORUS, #238, I WOULD NOT BE DENIED!
CONCLUSION: Remember the song I quoted to begin my thoughts, Hear the final verse: Joy comes like the morning, Hope deepens as you Grow, And Peace Beyond the reaches of your Soul, Come Flowing through You for LOVE has made you Whole, Once Like a leaf in the Wind, Looking for the Friend, Where could you turn, You Spoke the words of a prayer, And you Found Him THERE Arms open wide, LOVE IN HIS EYES
Chorus: Jesus, He meets you where you are, Oh, oh, oh, Jesus, He heals Your Secret Scars, All the LOVE your looking for IS JESUS, The Friend of the Wounded Heart!
Question: “Do You want to get well?” Come to Jesus! Will You?