Summary: Jesus said that the world would not know us by our great theological, stands or wisdom but rather our love for each other.Our hope is that this will be an encouragement to all of us to love like Jesus!!!!
“Disciples love like Jesus!!!!”
John 13:31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.
John 13:32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.
John 13:33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.
John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
Intro: After the Lord’s Supper was instituted and the Judas had left to betray the Lord. Jesus spoke to the disciples about some very important subjects. He immediately started speaking to them about him.
1) being glorified and in particular bringing God glory. Verse 31 he says if God be glorified in him (Jesus) then God would be glorified in all that Jesus would do. Listen that doesn’t just include his miracles and his teaching this also includes;
A. His sham trial
B. His false conviction. All of it orchestrated by the mighty hand of God and all of it done ultimately for His honor and glory.
Then he gets into his
2) crucifixion and death, notice how he speaks to them with love and tenderness as he says to them “little children (because in their understanding they are as little Children) they don‘t see nor understand the big picture. How does any child grasp or understand the passing of their loved one?
A. I am with you a little while----I am here a bit longer
B. Ye shall seek me----as persons in distress, under great concern, not knowing what to do, or where to go: You will be looking for me, hurting and in great anguish but, you will not be with me.
C. He reminds them of what he said to the Jews-----
1) John 7:33 Then said Jesus unto them, Yet a little while am I with you, and then I go unto him that sent me.
2) Here’s the difference, with the unbelieving Jews when they died in their sins, they could never come where he went, but, his disciples, although they could not come now, they would later, all of them, including Peter, John 13:36.
3) Jesus blows their mind!!!!
A. A new commandment
1) As parents, when they take their leave of their children, in their dying moments, give them proper instructions and orders, and lay their dying instructions on them, so Christ taking his leave of his disciples, gives them his;
B. Love one another
1) Getting beyond the superficial/surface type love we have for others. Too often that’s what we see in Churches. Don’t misunderstand what I am saying. It is near impossible to get to know a large group of people intimately. I am not saying that everyone should know every little thing about you nor you about them. I am also not saying that everyone in Church will be your best friend. That will not happen because everyone has different personalities and some personalities mesh with some better than others. I am saying that we should have enough love that we can be real with one another.
a. Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
C. As I have loved you….Christ loves his people intimately (personal, deeply) with an affection that is unfathomable. He knows our fears, our hurts, our darkest secrets, our wants. This also deals with his sacrifice on our behalf.
D. That you should love one another….With a love that is sacrificial and a love that is not self serving.
1) Gill said this, ”than which, nothing can, or should, more strongly engage to it: as Christ has loved his people freely, notwithstanding all their unworthiness and ungratefulness, so should they love one another, though there may be many things in them observable, which are disagreeable; as Christ loves all his children without any distinction, so should they love one another, whether poor or rich, weaker or stronger, lesser or greater believers; and as Christ loves them not in word only, but in deed and in truth, so should they love one another with a pure heart fervently, and by love serve one another.”
a. Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
4) The proof of who you are
A. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples----If you want people to know that you are a Disciple (follower)…..Don’t