Summary: We have to get out there and start spreading the Good News.And When we do this God will bless our churches And it will grow for the right reasons.
Today I want to talk about doing what were told?
• From the time we are children we are constantly being told what to do.
• We’re told to make our beds, clean our rooms, feed the dog, cut the grass, and so on and so on.
But how do we determine who we are suppose to listen to?
Well One good way would be to start with authority.
• From a very young age I learned quickly that it would be in my best interest to listen to my parents.
• Those were still the days when kids still did what they were told or they got spanked.
• We knew that if we didn’t do what we were told that we were going to be in trouble.
Then as we get older we learn that there are other authority figures that we need to listen to.
• Who hear remembers the first time they were pulled over in their car?
• It’s not a whole bunch of fun
• I can think of a lot better ways of spending my time and my money.
When it comes to the work place the situation doesn’t change.
• We have a very simple choice,
• Do what the boss says or go find another job.
We spend the majority of our lives listening and taking direction from other people.
• My question is if we have spent so much of our time listening to others
• And doing what they tell us to do
• Why do we constantly refuse to do what God tells us to do.
The first thing we have to understand is that God is our Father
• So He should be the first one that we listen to.
• We fear Him (and if you don’t you should)
• The word fear is used a lot in Theology
• It conjurers up images of being frightened by God
• But the best way we can understand it
• Is that it is the ultimate respect
• That there is no other options, that when God tells us to do something we do it
• There is no talking back We need to mind Him.
God is the Ultimate Authority
• The policeman that pulled you over has the authority to write you a ticket or even take you to jail.
• But only Christ has the authority and the power to take you to Heaven.
God is the ultimate Boss.
• I’m not the only one here that works for God.
• When you were saved, you received a title and a job.
• Through the love of Christ
• You were brought into Discipleship.
• Which means every one of us got the job position of Disciple.
God is the greatest employer that you will ever work for
• He has the best retirement plan.
• He loves and cares about each one of His employees.
• He takes time each day to listen to your problems.
• And We never have to book an appointment to talk with Him
• But The best part about our job is that once you have accepted is it
• It comes with a complete job description so that we never get confused about what we’re suppose to do.
In the first chapter of the handbook, I’ll read to you our job descriptions.
The Great Commission
Mt 28:16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.