Summary: Losing Heart today is easy. What is loosing heart, we today know it better as discouragement. Jesus speaks some things to us to despell discrouagement. Jesus speaks peace, Jesus speaks encouragement, Jesus speaks triuph.
Losing heart in today’s world can be easy. We know losing heart better as discouragement. Discouragement often will come from listening to someone else’s wrong view of reality. Discouragement can also be brought on by ourself. Discouragement is like a disease that can infest our lives. The devil is the bug that can most often cause discouragement. But God speaks into our lives using creation, and resurrection power to dispel discouragement and defeat the devil.
What sources of discouragement do you have? People, circumstances,
I. Jesus speaks peace to us
A) Devil’s discouragement is like a bad penny, it is always turning up
1) Where does discouragement come from
1) Jesus death and intombment—dealt the Disciples discouragement. – 3rd day encouragement
2) They had not remembered His words.
b) Not listening to God’s voice.
1) We often listen to our own words of Discouragement.
2) We often listen to others words of Discouragement.
Key: Don’t Listen to discouraging Words.
Don’t let anyone tell you it can’t be done.
Or that’s impossible.
3) We should be listening to God’s words.16.33 take courage.
Isaiah 9.6 “For a child will be born to us a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.”
B) Jesus provides peace like a pouring rain.
1) John 14.27 Peace Jesus gives not like the worlds.
2) No matter what happens remember God is with you
Don’t let simple things of no eternal significance drag you down.
When down in the mouth remember Jonah he came out all
3) Jesus told us we would have tribulation.
a) Paul told us in 1 Cor 1.13
God is faithful and will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can endure.
b) God is faithful don’t be discouraged.
Jesus is the cheerleader of our lives.
He stands in heaven saying just trust in me and you can do it!
II. Jesus speaks encouragement to us.
A) Devil’s words of discouragement defeated by Jesus’ encouragement.
1) John 16.20 “your grief will be turned into joy”
2) John 16.22 “you heart will rejoice.”
3) John 16.33 “take courage.”
4) Psalms 31.24 “be strong and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in the Lord.”
5) 2 Corinthians 4.8-9 “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but no forsaken (abandoned) struck down, but not destroyed.”
B) Discouragement is a result of not hearing the encouragement of God.
1) He says endure to the end and receive your reward.
2) Life might not seem as fun as a Christian that is because we focus to much on others apparent joy and happiness.
(My brother and sister never fighting in public.)—Divorce
C) Don’t let the devils discouragement get you down.
1) He uses lies, illusions, and deception to get you down
2) Listen to Jesus voice of encouragement
a) It can come from, your pastor, deacon, spouse, child, friend
b) Don’t surround yourself with can’t and won’t
c) make a fortress out of can and will.
The main purpose of the devils discouragement is to steal you joy and testimony.
John 10.10 the thief comes not but to steal, kill, and destroy.
III. Jesus speaks triumph to us.
A) Jesus has overcome the world
1) conquered it – Like Julius Ceaser.
Alexander the Great.
2) deprived it -- of the power to harm you . Rev 12.11
B) Jesus Tells us to keep our joy the devil is done
1) defeated, demoted.
2) In Jesus we have peace and encouragement—God is in control
3) In the World we have chaos and discouragment – You and the devil are in control.
A young Christan was relating some of his experiences in the Great war. With a company of his comrades he was separated from the main body of troops. Surrounded by the enemy for days, their food ran out and their water was exhausted.
Knowing they were without food and water, the enemy sent a messenger every little while, suggesting that they would be wise to surrender (enter the devil).
One night, with no food and no water, and with only one shell left, they held a consultation as to what steps to take next. They decided to pray to God for His help, then to fire their last shell into the night as a signal to their comrades. After the shell had exploded, the only thing to do was to wait. In the morning they heard the hum of a motor overhead. It was a plane from their own headquarters. Flying over the surrounded boys, it dropped packages of food and canteens of water. On one of the packages was a note.