Summary: A perspective on division
Every disciple who follows Jesus should be concerned with unity among believers...
a. In light of Jesus' prayer for unity - Jn 17:20-23
b. In light of Paul's condemnation of division - 1Co 1:10-13
c. Unity can be a powerful witness to the world
d. Division is often a mark of carnality and spiritual immaturity
- cf. 1Co 3:3-4
THE PROBLEM OF DIVISION
Division existed even in the early days of the church - 1Co 1:10-13; 3:3-4; 11:18. Such turmoil was anticipated by The Parable Of The Tares - Mt 13:24-30,36-43.
Division continued throughout church history
- With the schisms between Roman and Orthodox churches
- With the denominational divisions of the Protestant churches.
The problem of division continues, despite the devastating effect it
has on our witness for Christ. What can be done by those who want to
work toward the unity for which Jesus prayed...?
1. Accept the same standard of authority. (Jesus)
2. Have / maintain Christ like attitudes.
3. Restrain personal liberties.
4. Focus (Refocus) your efforts - be a disciple of Christ!