Summary: Easter is a day of celebration. Believers worldwide have the wonderful opportunity to celebrate the resurrection of Christ. In this extraordinary – never to be repeated act, Jesus has declared victory over death, sovereignty of God’s plan, and the ultim
DO WE HAVE A COMMON GOAL THIS EASTER
Series Part 4
Matthew 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
INTRODUCTION: Easter is a day of celebration. Believers worldwide have the wonderful opportunity to celebrate the resurrection of Christ. In this extraordinary – never to be repeated act, Jesus has declared victory over death, sovereignty of God’s plan, and the ultimate failure of the plans of Satan.
Yet, you and I cannot forget that with this victory comes a responsibility. Christ took opportunity to reveal himself to his disciples, re-establish the person of Peter, and commission his followers to accomplish even greater thing than He Himself accomplished with three and a half years of ministry.
I. OUR COMMON GOAL IS BASED ON THE AUTHORITY OF CHRIST
A. The Authority Of Christ Over Us
1. Notice that Jesus does not ask our permission.
2. What Jesus is going to communicate is not optional in the life of a follower of Christ
3. The authority of Christ supersedes our desire or wishes
Ephesians 1:20-21 which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.
a. The authority of Christ is above any precedent we can sight
b. His authority is above “all”
c. His authority is above “every”
a. Every person
b. Every position
B. The Authority Of Christ Over Unbelievers
1. The authority of Christ applies here – All authority comes from God
2. The authority of Christ applies in eternity – every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess.
Philippians 2:10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
C. The Authority Of Christ Is Universal
1. Every missionary effort is based on the universal authority of Christ
2. Foreign fields are evangelized under this authority
3. Men face torture, imprisonment, and death under this authority
Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
WHEN WE TALK ABOUT A COMMON GOAL FOR EASTER, IT IS NOT MY GOAL OR YOUR GOAL. IT IS THE GOAL OF CHRIST!
AS A BELIEVER, WE MAY DO MANY THINGS, BUT IF WE ARE NOT WORKING THE GOAL CHRIST HAS SET BEFORE US, WE ARE NOT BEING FAITHFUL TO THE CROSS OF CHRIST, THE CALL OF CHRIST, OR THE COMMITMENT OF CHRIST.
THE CROSS OF CHRIST ESTABLISHED THE AUTHORITY OF OUR COMMON GOAL
THE CALL OF CHRIST ESTABLISHED THE ACTION OF OUR COMMON GOAL
THE COMMITMENT OF CHRIST ESTABLISHED THE AMOUNT OF OUR COMMON GOAL (none should perish)
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
GOD HAS CHOSEN TO FULFILL THIS GOAL THROUGH EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US. IF WE ARE UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF CHRIST, WE ARE UNDER THE GOAL OF CHRIST. WE HAVE A COMMON GOAL THIS EASTER!
II. OUR COMMON GOAL IS BASED ON OUR ENDEAVOR FOR CHRIST – The Pieces of our Goal
A. Make Disciples Of Christ
2. God expects you to be a witness for Him effective in communicating the gospel of Christ to others
B. Make Committed Disciples Of Christ
2. Christ expects that we will not only bring someone to the point of salvation, but that we will encourage them towards a greater commitment
3. Which, by the way, if you are sitting here today, and you know Christ as your Savior, and you have never been baptized, you need to fulfill the goal of Christ in your own life before fulfilling it in the life of someone else!
C. Make Educated Disciples Of Christ
1. There is a lot of junk out in this world that will steal away the heart of a follower of Christ
2. An uneducated believer is a believer in danger
a. God is looking for you to be a student of the word of God, and to be a teacher of the Word of God
b. This does not mean you need to “know it all”, but to communicate what you know, and to put yourself in the position to obtain what you do not know.