Summary: Can a man be a Christian without believing in the resurrection? Romans 10:9 answers our question.
From the Desk of Pastor Toby Powers
Truth Baptist Church
Do You Believe In The Resurrection?
Intro: According to this passage one primary requirement for being saved is to believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Man has tried to do all he can to deny the resurrection.
* The Priests paid the soldiers about the tomb to claim the disciples stole the body.
* Others said that he never truly was dead in the beginning.
* Some have claimed that Mary Magdalene moved the body.
* People have claimed to have found the napkin that wrapped about his face, but can not substantiate it.
* Others have claimed to have found the tomb with his body and the bodies of his family members, but cannot substantiate it.
If Christ Did Not Rise From The Dead:
* All the Apostles told the same lie... consistently every time.
* The women who came to the tomb told the same lie consistently every time.
* All the Apostles died at the hands of evil men for a story they knew was not true.
* The moving and indwelling all believers experience is some sort of unexplainable hoax
* We are all still dead in our sins
BUT CHRIST DID RISE FROM THE DEAD THE RESURRECTION IS A REALITY, A DOCUMENTED FACT, AND OUR ONLY HOPE OF FORGIVENESS OF SIN AND A HOME IN HEAVEN
Do you believe in the resurrection? In the Scriptures we see the resurrection:
A. By the Prophets: Ps 16:10 “For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.”
B. Personally by Jesus: Matt 16:21 “From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.” Mark 9:9 “And as they came down from the mountain, he charged them that they should tell no man what things they had seen, till the Son of man were risen from the dead.” John 2:19-22 “Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? But he spake of the temple of his body. When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.”
II. Pictured: we see multiple incidents in the scriptures that serve as pictures, types or foreshadows of the resurrection of Christ.
A. Abraham and Isaac (Gen 22): Heb 11:17-19 “By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.”
B. Joseph’s Refusal to Allow Them to Bury Him In Egypt: in other words, he was only in a borrowed tomb in that foreign land. So it was with our Lord, for he only needed it a few days.