Summary: Only those who have Jesus Christ have eternal life.
Text: 1Jn 5:11-13
(11) And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
(12) He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
(13) These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
Have you ever hear the saying or been told to “get a life”? The Word of God tells us where we can get that life. The life Jesus give is the best life there is.
Are you saved? Do you have eternal life?
One of the great questions of mankind is – Is there life after death? The answer is a resounding yes and this life is found in Jesus Christ the Son of God.
Another great question of mankind is – Can a man know if he has eternal life? Once again the answer is a resounding yes! John tells us in verse 13 in our text that he has written that “ye may know that ye have eternal life”
While the many religions of the world are working attempting to obtain eternal life in the hereafter, God has already given it to us who have the Son !
Did you catch that? In verse 11 “God hath given us eternal life”. It is past tense – He has already done it!
John puts it very plainly that “this life is in His Son” and “He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.”
Therefore the ultimate question of life is really – Do you have Jesus?
I. Eternal Life Is In Jesus Christ The Son Of God
A. Some have said that God’s mercy is wide – that is not what Jesus taught
1. Mat 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: (14) Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
2. The way is so narrow it excludes any other possibility than through Jesus.
3. Not the church, not keeping the ten, not baptism, not the Lords supper, not giving or any good works…..
B. None other
1. (Act 4:12) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
2. (Joh 14:6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me
3. (Joh 11:25) Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live
C. We either Have Jesus or we don’t – DO YOU HAVE JESUS?
II. What Does It Mean To Have Jesus
A. What it is not.
1. Knowing about Jesus
2. Getting emotional – though we should get emotional in our worship
3. confessing our sins – many go to confession and still do not have Him
4. Being religious – the Pharisees were religious and they crucified Him
5. It is not doing good works – (Eph 2:8) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (Eph 2:9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.
B. It means receiving Him - Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me
C. Faith in Him – putting complete trust in Jesus Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God
D. Relationship – more than just an experience – a talking daily relationship (have you talked with Him today) When I was young I prayed – I had an experience – but I did not have Jesus
E. Lordship – Jesus doesn’t come into our heart to be silenced by our wills and desires – THOSE THAT TRULY HAVE JESUS WILL ALLOW HIM TO BE RULER OF THEIR LIFE!
F. New life - 2Co 5:17-18 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. (18) And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation