Summary: Who Jesus Really Is
Intro: we find the writer of Hebrews giving encouragement to move into the deeper things of Christ. He states that he will give if God permits him to discuss deeper theology. But in this chapter he goes over many basics of Christianity that are essentials to living by faith. In the next few weeks I would like to look at these:
The Doctrine of Christ
Repentance From Dead Works
Faith toward God
Doctrines of Baptisms
Laying on of Hands
Resurrection from the Dead
v. 4-6—the principles of backsliding
v .9---things that accompany Salvation
v. 13-19 Covenant Relationship
v. Priesthood of Christ
The Doctrine of Christ
This one subject is so great, that there is not enough paper in this world to write down everything concerning Jesus Christ. But there are a few basics that every Christian should know, and hold onto.
1. Jesus is God---the Son of God—John 20:28 My Lord and My God—Jesus stated that if you have seen me, you have seen the Father ( John 14:9). This is such an important doctrine because in this world there are many who claimed to be God, or the Son of God. But we preach that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but through him, John 14:6.
2. Jesus is the Son of man—he became flesh—John 1:14, Matthew 1:23- who was born of a virgin. So many Gnostics have taught this heresy that Christ wasn’t really flesh or human. That he was 100 percent God, and 0 percent man. We do not accept this, because if he wasn’t flesh, and he wasn’t human, then he couldn’t identify with man or die for man.
3. Jesus is the Word of God—John 1:1—God needed to communicate to man, but they rejected the prophets, they no longer received prophetic utterance, so in these last times He has spoken to us by the Son. This is one of the greatest doctrines of Christ, that He is the Word of God. Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
4. Jesus is the Lamb of God—Revelation 13:8—lamb slain from the foundation of the world. There is so much meat in this one thought. Jesus was prepared as a sacrificial lamb for the sins of the world, before man ever committed the first sin.
a. no other sacrifice was ever accepted by God. Hebrews teaches us that the blood of bulls and goats, God took no pleasure in them. But when Jesus entered heaven as the lamb that was slain, he was able to open the seals, so that man could have entrance into God’s presence.
b. Offered once for all—this is so important, Jesus is one sacrifice offered for all time for all people. We can’t do perpetual sacrifices of the blood and body of Christ, that would do despite to the Spirit of grace and trample under foot the blood of Christ.
c. Washes white as snow, white as wool—Isaiah 1:18 The cleansing is complete in Christ. There is now no condemnation for those in Christ.
5. Lion of the Tribe of Judah— Rev. 5:5 Jesus is Messiah—Matthew 1 genealogies—from Abraham to Christ. For many this Doctrine of Christ may seem none important, but without this record of Christ, we could not fully understand the mystery of Christ. Just imagine, that God from Abraham, secured this bloodline, through David all the way to Christ.