Summary: There are those who think they have to do everything themselves and then there are those who realize that worshiping God is where we begin to serve.
TITLE: Doers and Dreamers
TEXT: Luke 10:38-42
INTRO: Continuing with our survey of incidents that are unique to Luke's Gospel, we come to a story about two sisters with very different personalities and how they interacted with Jesus.
I. MARTHA (v.38)
A. Who was Martha?
1. Only one Martha in the Bible
2. Martha means "mistress, or lady of the house"
3. She probably was a widow and owned the house
4. Her younger brother &sister, lived with her
5. Several wealthy women in the NT were the mistresses
of their own homes: John Marks' Mother, Lydia,
Nympha, and Chloe
B. Why was She so Anxious?
1. As the eldest and hostess she was concerned about
2. She was the one with the responsibility for everything
C. Other Mentions of Martha
1. When Lazarus died
(Joh 11:19-20a) "And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother. Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him..."
2. Just before Jesus crucifixion
(Joh 12:1-2a) "Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead. There they made him a supper; and Martha served..."
D. Martha's Personality
1. She was a doer! She got things done!
2. Her priority was serving
II. MARY (v.39)
A. Who was Mary?
1. She was the younger sister of Martha
2. Mary (Gk.) means ‘wise woman’ or ‘lady’;
3. There are six different women named Mary in the NT
(a) Mary, mother of Jesus,
(b) Mary Magdalene,
(c) Mary of Bethany,
(d) Mary mother of James the younger,
(e) Mary mother of John Mark,
(f) Mary of Rome
B. Why wasn't She Helping?
1. She "Sat at His feet and hear His word" (v.3)
2. This is what a disciple does
C. Other Mentions of Mary
1. When Lazarus died
(Joh 11:20b) "...but Mary sat still in the house."
2. (Joh 12:1-3) Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead. There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him. Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
D. Mary's Personality
1. Mary was a dreamer more than a doer
2. Her priority was to learn and to love
III. JESUS (vs.40-41)
A. Jesus and Bethany
1. Jesus spent a lot of time in Bethany
- Palm Sunday [Luk. 19:29]
- The last weeks before His crucifixion [Mat. 21:17]
- His Ascension was near Bethany [Luk. 24:50]
2. He was close to this family
(Joh 11:5) Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister,
B. His Response to The Sisters
1. A kindly reproach to Martha,
(Luk 10:41) And Jesus answered and said unto her,
Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about
2. A commendation to Mary,
(Luk 10:42) But one thing is needful: and Mary hath
chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away
C. The Lord Uses Many Different Personalities
1. The Apostles all had different personalities & abilities