Summary: One of a series of four messages in the "What If It’s True?" campaign. This is intended to assist pastors whose churches are involved in the evangelistic outreach.
Pastor Rick A. Flowers
First Baptist Church - Flushing, MI
“Does God Care About Me?”
This is week #3 of the “What If It’s True?” campaign. For approximately 6 weeks, hundreds of ads were run on local cable channels, asking the question, “What If It’s True?” These ads were intended to get unchurched people thinking about the issues that were brought up in these ads. To date, we have addressed the first two questions:
· “Is Jesus The Only Way?”
· “Are The Bible And Church Relevant Today?”
This morning, I would like for you to ponder the question, “Does God Care About Me?”
· As you do, take a look at the clip that asks this important question.
“Does God Care About Me?”
· If you a regularly attend a bible believing, bible preaching church, you would answer this question with a definite “Yes”!
· You could probably quote a few verses - 1 Peter 5:7 - Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
· Perhaps you could share about a time when you experienced God’s care!
· On the other hand, you may question how God could care about you as an individual with all that is going on in the world!
Let’s turn to Psalm 139 as we attempt to answer the question, “Does God Care About Me?”
1 O Lord, You have searched me and known me.
2 You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off.
3 You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
5 You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it.
I. God Knows Us
According to Psalm 139, God knows everything about us!
1. He knows when I sit down, when I get up, the path I take and when I lay down.
2. He knows my thoughts.
3. He knows my ways.
4. He knows what I have said, what I am saying and what I’m about to say.
There’s nothing that God doesn’t know about you and me!
13 The Lord looks from heaven; He sees all the sons of men.
14 From the place of His dwelling He looks On all the inhabitants of the earth;
15 He fashions their hearts individually; He considers all their works.
Could anyone know us better than the one who “Fashions” (Forms) our hearts?
9 “The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
10 I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.
Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
II. God Knows Us And Wants A Relationship With Us
· The amazing thing about God is that He knows all there is to know about us, and He still desires a relationship with us… Warts and all!
· When you think about it, where can love and care always be found?
· It is always found within the Context of Relationships!
- Other Family Members
- Church Family
God Has Always Desired a Close Relationship With Man:
· In The Garden of Eden
Genesis 3:8 - And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.
Why would The Creator be in the Garden? He desired fellowship with Adam and Eve, but their sin had separated them from God!
· The Holy of Holies in the Temple/Ark of the Covenant – God’s Presence
2 Chronicles 7:1-2 - When Solomon had finished praying, fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the Lord filled the temple. And the priests could not enter the house of the Lord, because the glory of the Lord had filled the Lord’s house.
(The temporary place was the Tabernacle in the Wilderness, but now the Temple)
· “God With Us” – Jesus Christ
Isaiah 7:14 - Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. (God With Us)