Summary: We have a duty as Christians to win people to a saving faith in Jesus Christ.
LUKE 17:7-10 “DOING OUR DUTY: WINNING PEOPLE TO JESUS”
A) Last week I preached a message on “Jesus’ prayer request,” Remember?
* It was out of Matt. 9:35-38 “...The harvest ... Pray ye therefore the Lord ... send forth ...”
* “Harvest,” is the crop ... v.35-36 “He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion on ...”
* “Plenteous,” means much, many. * “Labourers,” means toilers, workers.
B) There were four things brought out about soul-winning .......
* First: It is a command of God ... It’s not a suggestion or something we should pray about!
* Second: It gives us a chance to show Jesus how much we love Him!
* Third: It gives us a chance to earn rewards! * Not only will we get paid in eternity at the
judgment seat of Christ, there are blessings we receive on earth now for doing it!
* Last: It will help enlarge the Kingdom of Heaven, and keep people out of hell!
C) Tonight, I want to share with you, first, the requirements of a soul-winner!
* There are several requirements in being a soul-winner .......
(1) MUST KNOW THAT HE IS SAVED! * This is very important!
A) If there is any doubt about one’s own salvation, the matter must be certainly cleared up
before attempting to help someone else who is lost!
* How can you help someone who is lost if you don’t know for sure that you are saved?
(2) MUST BE DEDICATED TO THE TASK! * Rom. 12:1 “I beseech you therefore, brethren ...”
A) I get so tired of hearing folks saying, “Dear Lord, give me a burden to win souls!”
* While you wait on the burden, go out and try to win a few!
* The Lord didn’t tell you to win souls if you had a burden, He said to win them anyway!
* If you don’t want to win them, win them anyway! * If you feel like it, win them!
* If you don’t feel like it, win them anyway!
B) If we went soul-winning every time we felt like it, not a one of us would ever go!
* Because Satan will try to keep us from it! * Gal. 2:20 “I am crucified with Christ: .......”
* 1 Cor. 9:27 “But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any .......”
* The Greek word used here for “keep under” is “hupopiazo” and it means: to hit under the eye, or
to beat the face black and blue, to bruise.
C) Paul is not speaking here of literally beating himself black and blue .......
* He means that he is determined to keep his body under control! * Let me remind you .......
* Believers are not to be controlled by their body ... They are to control their body!
* Jesus puts it this way in Luke 9:23 “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and ...”
* The Greek word for “subjection” is “doulagogeo” and means: to enslave, to lead about as a slave.
D) How do we control our bodies, Preacher? * By simply not giving in to it .......
* By denying the body whatever it craves! * We are to discipline our body!
* And when we discipline our body, we will dedicate ourselves to the task of winning souls!
* A soul-winner must be dedicated to the task!
(3) MUST UNDERSTAND HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO THE LOST!
A) To follow Christ as a soul-winner is to have compassion!