Summary: How god uses our gifts
The children of Israel were invited to help build the Tabernacle. “Everyone is invited to bring offerings” (35:4, NLT). As they built a sanctuary for God, today we are invited to build the Body of Christ by offering ourselves and our gifts to God.
A. WHO CAN DO THE WORK OF GOD?
1. All are invited. “Come, all of you who are gifted craftsmen” (35:10, NLT).
2. To obey God’s command. “Construct everything that the LORD has commanded” (35:10, NLT).
3. Give attention to all God says. “Construct everything” (35:10).
4. Prepare before serving. “So the whole community of Israel left Moses and returned to their tents” (35:20, NLT).
5. God wants enthusiastic service. “Everyone whose heart was stirred” (35:21).
6. God wants committed service. “Everyone whose spirit was willing” (35:21).
7. God wants all to serve Him. “Both men and women” (35:22).
8. Commitment is to God, not to self or the job. “Brought their sacred offerings to the LORD” (35:21, NLT).
9. We give different gifts to God. “Some . . . brought their offerings of gold” (35:22, NLT). “Others brought silver . . . those who had acacia wood brought it” (35:24, NLT).
10. While we yield and prepare, God chose us from foundation of the world. “The Lord has called Bezalel . . . and filled him” (35:30-31).
B. HOW GOD USES OUR GIFTS
1. Spiritual gifts begin with the Holy Spirit. “There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all” (1 Cor. 12:4, NLT).
A spiritual gift is your abilities that accomplish the work of God when enhanced by the Spirit of God. “The Lord has specially chosen Bezalel . . . has filled (him) with the Spirit of God, giving him great wisdom, (etc.) . . . he is able to create beautiful objects . . . will construct and furnish the Tabernacle just as the Lord commanded” (Ex. 35: 30-31; 36:1, NLT).
2. We are called to serve. “The Lord has called . . . Bazalel, the son of Uri” (35:30).
3. We are filled for service. “The Lord . . . has filled him with the Spirit of God” (35:31).
4. We must have inner character. “Filled him . . . with wisdom and understanding” (35:31). “Character is habitually doing the right thing in the right way.”
5. We must have service ability. “Filled . . . in all manner of workmanship” (35:31).
6. We must be finishers. “He is able to create beautiful objects” (35:31, NLT).
7. We must use our gifts in “community” with other gifts. “The Lord has given both him and Oholiab” (35:34, NLT). “The LORD has given them special skills” (35:35, NLT).
8. Gifts are effective only when doing God’s command. “The other craftsmen . . . will construct . . . just as the Lord commands” (36:1).
C. DOING THE WORK OF GOD
1. All people donated to the work. “Take a sacred offering for the LORD.” (35:5, NLT).