Summary: We need to follow the example of our God... He showed us His best, He teaches us His best, and He is directing us to the best way in life...
“Don’t settle for second best”
Good morning, we are now entering into new series “Giving God Our Very Best”… this is about how to honor the LORD by giving God our very best.
In order to do that, we need to be wholehearted in everything we do. And if we do that God will be glorified.
I ask everyone to stand and join me as I read our main text this morning Isa 48:17 “This is what the Lord says — your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go”. NIV
Our introductory message for this series is a message of encouragement and at the same time a challenge that we should always aim for the best and not settle for our second best especially when it is for the Lord.
I. God is SHOWING us how best He is
God introduces himself as the Redeemer and the Holy One of Israel …
When it comes to being the best no one comes close to our almighty God. He is the best and since the beginning of the world God started to display how best He is.
Two of the great examples:
- God created everything we need before God created the first man (Adam). There are more than enough supply for His most special creation; they don’t even need to work to live… It’s the best and perfect condition of human life.
- God created man as the best among all of His creation.
- God created man unique from among His creation because He created man according to His own image.
- Man was given authority to have dominion among all of His creation.
- When man started to look for his own best rather than concentrating on the best in God sin entered into the best creation of God, all of humanity became sinful.
- Man needs to be redeemed back to God; unfortunately man has no capacity on his own to redeem himself because of its sinful nature.
- God’s best redemptive act came in to the picture so that man can get back to his original state of being the best creation of God.
II. God is TEACHING us all the best
When it comes to knowing all the best things in life… God is our great teacher.
Isa 28:26 “They know exactly what to do and when to do it. Their God is their teacher”. (THE MESSAGE)
When God teach, He teaches us…
A. His Way
Ps 25:9 “He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way”. NIV
- God doesn’t want us to walk in our own ways that leads to destruction.
- He would want to provide us the best way in order to make life more fulfilling and happy.
- It is important that we spend time listening to Him as He teaches us what is right and every time He gives us guidance.
B. His Wisdom
Prov. 15:33 “The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor”. NIV
- In every decisions we make we have to consult the Lord for wisdom for us not to commit mistakes which we will surely regret later on in our life.
- It all starts by our fear of the Lord!
- Our own wisdom might fail but His will always be reliable forever.
III. God is DIRECTING us to the best way
Without God’s direction every man doesn’t know where to go.
He gives direction in our every;
Ps 119:35 “Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight”. NIV
- God and His commands serve as our life compass.
Ps 119:133 “Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me”. NIV
- Do every works you have according to his words.
- When we try to do it our ways then sin will enter and disaster will follow.
IV. God is EXPECTING us to do the best
Obedience is the key to giving God our very best.
1 Cor. 10:31 “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God”. NIV
A. God deserves nothing but the best from His people.
- We are fully convinced of the fact that God gave us all His best all the time.
- He will not give us something substandard because He always wanted to give us all His best.
- Now, we have all the opportunity to show Him our gratitude by giving Him all our best because He alone deserves it.
- We will just reciprocate from what He already does in us.