Summary: Jesus never said that we wouldn’t have trials and storms in our life. But when these things do come and they will, He promised not to leave us or forsake us.
2 Corinthians 4:1
The text today talks about not being discouraged.
Paul says; “seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not”(we are not discouraged).
The ministry that he is talking about is not the five fold ministry of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers.
#1) But the ministry that every born again believer has;
1. The ministry of “triumph in Christ”. In 2 corint. 2:14 Paul says; “God causes us to triumph in Christ and makes manifest the savor of His knowledge by us in every place”.
A. We are to be the living trophies of Christ by whom others can see the victory of Christ.
B. A trophy is the evidence that one has conquered and won
C. The continence of a trophy is always one of victory never of defeat.
2. The ministry that we have is a ministry of life and reconciliation not death.
A. Proverbs 18:21 says that; “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit”.
B. If you speak life it will produce life but if you speak death it will produce death.
3. The ministry of the Gospel(The good news not bad news)
4. The ministry of liberty and freedom not bondage.
A. 2 Cornt. 3:17-18 says that; “Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty.
B. Verse 18 in the amplified Bible says; “And all of us as with unveiled face, (because we) continued to behold (in the word of God) as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are constantly being transfigured into His own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of splendor to another; (for this comes) from the Lord (who is) the Spirit”.
5. The ministry of being living epistles of Christ (Gods living and walking letter to all men). (look at 2 Cornt. 3:3-4)
#2) There are Signs of loosing heart or being discouraged
1. Lack of persistence in prayer. Luke 18:1,Jesus said that; “Men ought to pray and not loose heart” (be discouraged)
* Eph. 6:18 says; “Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the spirit and being watchful to the end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints”
* 1 Thes. 5:7 says to; “Pray without ceasing”.
2. Getting tired of doing good and helping others
* Galatians 6:9 “Let us not grow weary of doing good for in do season we shall reap if we do not loose heart”
3. A bad attitude is a sign that one is discouraged. Specially when the person usually has a good attitude.
-When you have a bad attitude it shows and all around you gets affected by it.
-Our attitude towards the kingdom should always be to confess the word of God and not to curse what God is doing.
-To obey, follow, and imitate Christ.
-To obey those whom God has placed in authority.
-Our attitude towards the brethren should always be one of forgiveness.
-Our attitude towards the unsaved should be reconciliation.
To pray for the unsaved, to plead with them to come to Christ
4. What we say and how we say it shows others if we are discouraged or loosing heart.
* 1 Corint. 15:33 says; “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners”.
Paul said; “As we have received mercy, we faint not. But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by the manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God”.