Summary: How to move from stagnation to stimulation. A look at the man who had stagnated at the pool of Bethesda for 38 years.
— Part of this was in an issue of Leadership magazine: Charles Swindoll
– Movie – 1966 “Stop the World I Want to Get Off”
Songs: "What Kind of Fool Am I?" "Gonna Climb A Mountain," "Once in a Lifetime,"
Line in movie
I want my life back. What life I want back exactly is not clear to me yet, but a life where I don’t have to constantly wish for my life back.
— I just want to live mindlessly from day to day.
- Stagnate - exist in a changeless situation - stand still, decay, decline, fester, choke
- Atrophy is the partial or complete wasting away of a part of the body. Causes of atrophy include poor nourishment, poor circulation, or loss of muscle tissue resulting from disease .
A Stagnated Life Jn 5
v.1 - FEAST - Holiday - Celebration
v. 2 - SHEEP MARKET - Place to trade
- BETHESDA - House of Mercy, Place of mercy
v. 3 - IMPOTANT - Weak Sick
BLIND, - HALT, Lame - WITHERED Paralyzed
v. 4 - Modern translations leave this verse out
Our own words - Look for a Sign - Miracle - Lottery
Never going to happen
v. 5 WHICH HAD AN INFIRMITY
- Does not identify has sickness - His stagnation
- Can be any of us
- Never too late to change
- Man Stagnated for 38 years
- Almost as long as Israel in the Wilderness
v. 6 - JESUS SAW - JESUS KNEW
- We are never outside of Grace
WILT THOU BE MADE WHOLE?
- To restore completely inside & out
v. 7 - I HAVE NO MAN
- Excuse - Blame - My Reasons
v. 8 - RISE, TAKE UP THY BED, AND WALK
- It is not according to our abilities or strength
- It is according to His authority
v. 9 - IMMEDIATELY THE MAN WAS MADE WHOLE
Based on what you believe
Who are you going to trust
Stagnation is dangerous.
- Leonardo da Vinci
Iron rusts from disuse; water loses its purity from stagnation ... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind
Moving From Stagnation To Stimulation
There are three common motivators:
PAIN: Often it’s not "seeing the light" that gets us going, but "feeling the heat.” You delay the dentist appointment until the pain is unbearable.
PRESSURE: When the doctor says "Lose 50 pounds or die," or the boss says "Improve performance or be fired," that pressure will motivate you to make a change. The problem with pressure as a motivator is that it doesn’t last. When the pressure subsides, so does your motivation. There is a better motivator.
PERSPECTIVE: When you see the big picture, or when you’re inspired by a challenging vision or purpose, you’ve found the best motivator of all – perspective. You realize that you’re wasting your potential.
Four Ways To Stop Life’s Stagnation
1. ACCEPT responsibility for your own life. Refuse to be either an excuser (rationalize failure) or an accuser (blame others). Instead, be a chooser, and choose to break out of the rut you’re in.
2. ANALYZE - What do you really want. Write down specifically how you’d like to change.
3. AFFIRM - Stop saying "I can’t" and start saying "I can."