Summary: Trouble will come in life - that’s a promise from God. But you don’t have to let trouble overcome you. Here are four truths you need to learn to make it through in the day of trouble.
DON’T WORRY, BE PRAYERFUL
KEY TEXT: “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 4:6-7).
“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 4:6-7, NLT).
INTRO: This past week our lives were like a country & western song!
• Our van broke down, fridge stopped freezing, dog ran away, water turned brown!
• ANOTHER STORY: when I preached a message on “What to do in the day of trouble” = we had a car accident on the way to church.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU’RE HAVING A BAD DAY?
• You wake up face down on the pavement
• You call suicide prevention and they put you on hold
• You turn on the news and they’re showing emergency routes out of the city
• The bird singing outside your window is a buzzard
• Your car horn goes off accidentally and remains stuck as you follow a group of Hell’s Angels on the highway
SONG: There wsa a song from the 80’s by Bobby McFerrin called, “Don’t’ Worry, Be Happy”
1. TROUBLE WILL COME IN YOUR LIFE!
“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33).
• Jesus said we WILL have trouble in life, but we can still have peace IN HIM!
Peter said, “Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you.” (1 Peter 4:12).
• Don’t be surprised when trouble comes! We will have TESTS in life!
2. WHEN TROUBLE COMES, DON’T WORRY.
• Worry defined: to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts.
“25 "So I tell you, don’t worry about everyday life whether you have enough food, drink, and clothes. Doesn’t life consist of more than food and clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your heavenly Father feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than they are. 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not. 28 "And why worry about your clothes? Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won’t he more surely care for you? You have so little faith! 31 "So don’t worry about having enough food or drink or clothing. 32 Why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things? Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, 33 and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern. 34 "So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” (Matthew 6:25-34).