Summary: God often makes a point by making a double point! He wants us to rest in the certainty of His promises, in the certainty of Jesus Christ.
1. I discovered something playing a game of Outburst in our youth group: many of today’s youth are not familiar with Wrigley’s gum.
2. My favorite flavor as a child was Juicy Fruit. As an adult, I began to favor Double Mint gum. Double mint tends to be stronger than another flavor, Spearmint.
3. Fifty years ago, double mint would advertise on TV, using identical twins. Their motto was “Double your pleasure, double your fun, with Double Mint, Double Mint, Double Mint Gum!”
4. I am here to tell you today that God does not chew gum — at least to my knowledge. But he often does things in a doubly manner.
Main Idea: God often makes a point by making a double point! He wants us to rest in the certainty of His promises, in the certainty of Jesus Christ.
I. The DOUBLE Assurance of a Promise and an Oath
Vs. 14 has a Hebraism, a Hebrew figure of speech, translated literally as, “ saying, `Blessing indeed I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply you;'
A. What is the difference between a promise and an OATH?
B. What does this double guarantee IMPLY?
1. God’s promises to ISRAEL are doubly sure.
Jeremiah 31:35-37 reads, “Thus says the Lord, who gives the sun for light by day and the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar— the Lord of hosts is his name:
“If this fixed order departs from before me, declares the Lord, then shall the offspring of Israel cease from being a nation before me forever.”
Thus says the Lord: “If the heavens above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth below can be explored, then I will cast off all the offspring of Israel for all that they have done, declares the Lord.”
2. God’s promises to the BELIEVER are doubly sure.
Over 30 years ago, Dale and I were working on changing a light fixture in the
Knotty Pine room. Back then, we had wooden fuse boxes from 1913. I loosen a fuse, but every circuit had two fuses. They fused both the hot and the ground. Unfortunately, I had only loosened the ground fuse. Dale got a shock when he touched the radiator pipe near the fixture. I should have been doubly sure.
C. If we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, our destiny is dependent upon God KEEPING His Word.
From “How Firm A Foundation”
“The soul that on Jesus doth lean for repose/ I will not, I will not, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake/ I’ll never, no never, no never forsake.”
Application: Are you resting in Jesus Christ, in the certainty of God’s promises?
II. The Double Characters of ABRAHAM and Jesus (Melchizedek’s Successor)
A. Abraham was REVERED by the Jews; he is to Judaism what Jesus is to Christianity.
B. Melchizedek was INCIDENTAL until Psalm 110:4 tied him to the Messiah.
C. Apollos? is priming the PUMP to elevate Melchizedek over Abraham.
If Melchizedek is greater than Abraham, and Christ is the eternal priest after the order of Melchizedek, than Jesus is greater than Abraham, father of Judaism.
John 8:53-59 passim, “Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died?” “…Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” So they picked up stones to throw at him…