Summary: Sermon 5 in a series of 7 on Living the Christian Life - out of James
Living the Christian Life
Draw Me Near Lord!
When everything is going bad in life, there is only one place to turn for guidance. One place to turn for help, help that will last for an eternity. It is not a temporary fix to a permanent problem. However, it is a permanent fix, to a temporary problem. Simply put, it is running into the open arms of a loving Savior that will grant help to those who are hurting. How many of us this morning desire that comfort, long for that comfort? Friends, it is as close as just calling out the name Jesus.
I. God gives grace to the humble!
a. We must remove all pride from our lives!
1. Pride goeth before destruction
ii. 1 John 2:16
1. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but of the world.
b. Life is not about self gratification. Life is about fulfilling God’s divine purpose for our lives. It is not about you!
i. Look at Psalm 119:1-3
1. Blessed are those who walk in the way of the Lord
2. Blessed are those who keep his testimony
3. Blessed are those who seek Him with their whole heart
4. Blessed are those who do no iniquity
ii. It’s about living for God, not our prideful self
iii. He grants us grace, through His Son, Jesus Christ. Why would a God do this to such persons who fail on a daily basis, His matchless love for each one of us.
II. Submit to God and Resist the Devil!
a. Seems like we have heard this somewhere before.
i. Psalm 37:5
1. Commit thy way unto the Lord, trust also in Him, and he shall bring it to pass.
ii. Proverbs 3:5-6
1. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto your own understanding
b. We are to fully give God our everything. Once we do this, the devil will put out a full four alarm assault on your life,
1. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Put on the whole armor of God that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day.
c. Once we submit, we can resist – we will have an arsenal to fight
i. Ephesians 6 tells us that we’ll have:
1. Belt of Truth
2. Breastplate of Righteousness
3. Gospel of Peace
4. Shield of Faith
5. Helmet of Salvation
6. Sword of the Spirit
d. God provides only when we submit and surrender our all to Him.
III. Draw near to God, and He’ll Draw Near to You
a. How can I get close to God?
i. Communicate with Him through prayer, through study of His word.
ii. Confess your sins to Him – do as the Word says:
1. “Cleanse your hands – Purify your hearts”
2. Get rid of the trash that fills your life
3. Draw Closer to Him
Fanny J Crosby wrote these words: O, the pure delight of a single hour that before thy throne I spend. When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God, I commune as friend with friend.
Do you realize that God, our Heavenly Father, is your friend? He loves you no matter what, you are His creation. He created you. He may not love the current path of your ways, but He loves you as a person and wants you to spend eternity in Heaven. O friend, draw near to God, now.
IV. It’s almost over
a. Life is but a vapor, it appears for a little while, and then it vanishes away.
b. Our time on earth will end in one of two ways: death or the coming of the Lord. Either way, you’ve got to be Spiritually ready – ready with Christ.
c. You either live for God, or you don’t. There isn’t an optional ending to this story – it’s one or the other.
Ira Stanphill penned these words in 1950
I don’t know about tomorrow, I just live from day to day; I don’t borrow from its sunshine, For its skies may turn to gray; I don’t worry o’er the future, for I know what Jesus said; And today I’ll walk beside Him, for He knows what is ahead
I don’t know about tomorrow, it may bring me poverty; But the one who feeds the sparrow, is the one who stands by me; and the path that be my portion, may be through the flame or flood; but His presence goes before me and I’m covered with His blood