Summary: God speaks to us when we expect it and when we don’t.
1. A Book. A Movie. A Song. An Angel. A Friend. A Donkey.
a. That’s interesting list.
b. SO: What do they have in common?
c. God can use them all to communicate to His creation.
Hebrews 1.1-2 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;
VARIOUS TIMES… God speaks to us when we expect it and when we don’t. He speaks to us when we WANT TO hear and when we don’t.
• He’s voice is continually going forth…
VARIOUS WAYS… God speaks to us in ways that are unique to getting our attention. Friends & enemies. Sermons & Signs. He’ll use a CD.
• He’ll use the internet. He’ll use just about any avenue to reach through this dark & depraved world to a culture that needs Him!
That’s the heart of God… to reach down, to reach in, to lift up those that live on this earth.
• And so he’s sent messengers with his message of love.
• He’s sent a book, a collection of love stories that He himself has written so that we might know Him and embrace Him.
• Finally, He sent His Son…
John 3.16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
AND I LOVE THIS TRUTH: NO ONE IS UNREACHABLE. NO ONE.
• Rich or poor, old or young, wanting to know more, not caring at all. It doesn’t matter, God’s love is toward everyone.
• If they are soft… share. If they are hardened… share.
• We just don’t know what’s working behind the scenes.
1 Cor. 3.5-6 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.
• And I’ve seen that the harder a person seems to be against the things of God, the closer they are to surrendering their lives!
NOTE: Paul the Apostle was a messenger of God. He was entrusted with the gospel & took it from city to city, powerfully & confidently
• Some received him, but still most rejected him.
• In Acts 17, Paul has come to a group of SMART MEN.
• As he’s waiting in Athens, his spirit is provoked. God wants to use him to speak to a group of seasoned, educated, and intelligent philosophers. READ THROUGH Acts 17:22ff
So NOW we see it again, God reaches a king named Nebuchadnezzar.
• He’s the most powerful & influential man on the planet.
• Talk about someone who seems unreachable.
• But God has it all set up… It’s a DIVINE SET-UP FOR SURE!
• The captivity, the capture of Daniel, & a recurring dream!
NOTE: We find Nebuchadnezzar alone in the dark… wondering about the future, thinking about immortality.
• He’s a little confused about these dreams. What do they mean?
• Why do I keep getting them? What’s going on?
• I’m in control in so many other areas, and this one seems to be far beyond my abilities.
NEBUCHADNEZZAR thought that history was his. That he could control his own destiny, be the captain of his own ship.