Summary: John describes the four ways we know we are dwelling with God, even though "no man has seen God"
Dwelling with God
Meridian Church of God Seventh Day
March 24, 2001
1. Good Morning
2. Our week/Brendan drawing
3. Illustration: “It reminds me of the story of the little girl who was in deep concentration over her drawing. Her mother asked her what she was drawing and received the curt reply, “God.” Her mother protested, “But no one knows what God looks like!” The little girl replied, “They will now!””
4. We do not have the ability to sit down and have a face-to-face
(1) can not take friend to meet Him
5. Knowing God is important: Matthew 7:21-23
(2) relationship “never knew you”
6. Especially since… 1 John 4:12a
(1) (if, 4 ways He dwells in us)
(2) 4 ways we know we know God
MP: We can truly only know God if He dwells within us
TS: How do we know if God dwells within us?
I. God dwells within us if we love one another (vs. 12).
1. What does it mean to love one another
(1) we have in times past looked at the 4 Greek words for love
(2) 1 Corinthian 13 defines love
II. God dwells within us if we have His Spirit (vs. 13).
1. Galatians 5
2. Fruits of the Spirit
(1) If we have the Spirit, we should walk in the
3. Do not quench the Spirit
4. Illustration: “A fellow who had been reared in the city bought a farm and several milk cows. In the feed store one day he complained his best cow had gone dry. "Aren’t you feeding her right?" asked the store owner. "I’m feeding her what you’ve been selling me," said the man. "Are you milking her every day?" "Just about. If I need six or eight ounces of milk for breakfast, I go out and get it - I just let her save it up." The feed store owner had to explain it doesn’t work that way. With cow’s milk, like God’s presence, you take all that’s there, or you eventually have nothing.”
III. God dwells within us if we confess Jesus is the Son of God (vs. 14-15).
1. Difference between a “good person” and a “Christian” VS. 14-15
2. Confess = Profess
3. Illustration: “A pastor was called to a new church. The first weekend the pastor was there, his message was taken from John 3:16. The message was entitled, "How to Be Born Again." The message was well received, but no decisions were made. The second weekend, the pastor’s message was taken from John 3:16 and was entitled "How to Be Born Again." Again, no decisions were made. The third weekend, the pastor’s sermon was taken from John 3:16 and was entitled "How to Be Born Again." Again, no decisions were made. By this time, the deacons were worried about what was happening—he just kept preaching the same sermon over and over and over again. So, they called a special meeting with the pastor to discuss his choice of sermons. One deacon said, “Don’t you have any more sermons?” The new pastor responded, “Yes, I have plenty of sermons. However, I am going to keep preaching this sermon until you get it right. Then, I will move on to something else.””
IV. God dwells within us if we dwell in love (vs.16)
1. Brings us back to the topic of love
2. Vs. 7-8
3. God is love, if we dwell in love, we dwell in God