Summary: We have sung and heard the good news, the good news that Jesus is ALIVE. Most have heard this many times. The challenge is, do we do anything with it now that is it so familiar to us?
- HAPPY EASTER! (Tomb background with words)
- I want to share some final thoughts along the topic of Evangelism
-- Easter is a tremendous time to share what you know, don’t be afraid to do it!
- Read Matthew 28:1-10 / Pray
- If you are a Christian … we celebrate one incredible fact today:
-- Jesus was beaten, crucified, and died in our place – and then RAISED to life
Point 1 – Jesus is Alive, Forever! (1-10)
- Upon going to the tomb, these women witness a tremendous sight
-- A blinding light, an earthquake, an angel of God appeared to them (v2)
-- Even the men who swore an oath to guard the tomb could not stand
-- APP: When God makes an entrance; it is always memorable
- The angel tells them to look, and see - Jesus is not there … HE IS RISEN! (v5)
-- It is very important to grasp the RELIABILITY of this promise
-- This resurrection is our foundation; if it’s a lie … then we are living one
- IMP: THIS event is the pivotal point of our faith
-- John 20:29 Jesus speaks to disciples and says, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
- Both Mary’s are given instructions (v7) to tell the Disciples to go to Galilee
-- Why? Because in hiding, these men needed encouragement to GO
- It is the same encouragement we need today – we MUST be going
-- We must be telling – we must be involved in sharing what we know with others
- IMP: The events are precise: Jesus died, He has risen, and now they must GO
Point 2 – There is a response to Jesus
- However, I want us to see something unique … they received the message twice!
-- Re-read verses 8-10 (emphasis on not being afraid)
- When Jesus appears to those who are His, there are two responses:
1) To worship (primary) – to honor who He is in your life
2) To await/receive instruction (this is our response to who He is … Lord)
- Jesus does not make it complicated for them, & He doesn’t make it hard for us
-- The instruction is clear: Tell them to GO, and then they will see me
- When we share the Gospel, we are seeing God at work through us, right?
-- If you say no: Let me ask you: Would you ever do that on your own? Nope!
-- We become servants by obeying what Jesus said … we willingly go and tell
- When we go, we are celebrating who it is that we live for; what He has done
-- It is not a matter of convenience, or of personal preference … but a response
- TRANS: So as we are going, what is the message we convey?
Point 3 – What do we tell others?
- This morning, you must accept the fact that Jesus is alive and He is God
-- It is a matter of submitting to God; giving your life to Him (He died for you)
-- We must also bow down before Jesus Christ; this is God’s message, not ours
- Accepting Jesus is as simple as the A, B, C’s:
-- Accept that you are a sinner and that Jesus died for your sins
-- Rom 3:23, “… for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
- Believe that God loves us and sent His son to die and raised Him from the dead
-- Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”