Summary: In the midst of the pandemic, In the midst of Jesus being crucified, where do you find Hope?
Sermon- Easter Advent 2 - 2020
- How often do we step back & look at how great our God is?
- In looking at second day of Advent for Easter, this day stands for Hope.
- As Jesus was going to the moment He was going to be Flogged By Rome, then
crucified, & placed in the grave. I would look at these moments & say there’s no
- To be beaten, up to a hundred times by Roman soldiers, & then crucified.
- Looking from the outside in. It would look like a tidal wave the size of the
Empire State Building is getting ready to plow you over.
- But this isn’t a mere man that this was going to happen to.
- This is God in the flesh, Jesus Christ.
- Although He has all the power to stop any of this, He Instead tells the Apostles,
17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
Q- Why did Jesus choose to die?
- It’s because He had hope.
- I know you’re going to say, wait a minute, He didn’t have hope, He knew He
would rise again.
- Ahh! You just got exactly what Hope looks like for us!
- We know, for those who belong to Christ, He will take care of us.
- That’s not something we question, we know it to be true!
- We Hope for it!
- Through God, we know that everything is going to be okay.
- Well, One little boy questioned that,
A boy was watching his dad, a pastor, write a sermon. “How do you know what to say?” asked the little boy.
“Why, God tells me.”
“Oh, said the boy, then why do you keep crossing things out?”
- I can look at our current situation, & say I don’t know if this will get better or worse,
but I know that in the end it will be better!
- It’s because that’s what I Hope for.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
- When we think about what good could come from this virus. I admit, it looks grim to
see a silver lining.
- Then, If you’re looking for it, you see God’s Glory/hand.
- The doors of our church are shut, but God’s Sermon was viewed 195 times.
- We needed C95 masks, & 5,000 were found in a Cathedral in Washington state.
- Satellite pictures showed the fog of pollution had dissipated from over China
during the lockdown.
- In the most subtle of movements God is showing to us He is still in control.
- His Word will not be stopped!
- He will protect His people!
- This is still His creation, & He will use it for His purpose.
- In an instant the businesses shut down, the planes stop flying, & even the
amusement parks shut down.
- That’s power, & that is our God.
- The Psalmist writes in Plasm 62:1-8
1 Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.
2 He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.
3 How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence.
4 They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah.
5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
- Imagine the mischief devised against man. There are so many things we can cry out
to God about that are wrong.
- We could question why this is happening, not just this virus, but all the bad stuff.
- In the end we must agree that they will be slain, put away, & removed from out of
- That’s Because Jesus is our Salvation, our Redeemer, our High Tower, our ever