Summary: God keeps calling you, God keeps trying to get your attention but you treat Him as if He is bothering you, all He wants to say is "I love you"
Resurrection Sunday April 4th 2010.
God is trying to get your attention because He loves you.
• On January 27-28, 2009, Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Texas: at least 23 people die due to severe storms that covered roads and power lines with snow and ice. Schools close and more than a million homes are left without electricity. Rhode Islanders said “that’s so sad.”
• April 6, Italy: an earthquake of magnitude 6.3 strikes central Italy, killing more than 200 people and injuring another 1,000. Rhode Islanders said “that’s so bad.”
• August 10, Taiwan: Typhoon Morakot caused a mudslide that buried schools, homes, and at least 600 people in southern Taiwan. Rhode Islanders said “that’s so sad.”
• September 30, Indonesia: a 7.6-magnitude earthquake hits the island of Sumatra, leaving more than 1,000 people dead and thousands trapped under the rubble of collapsed buildings in the city of Padang.
• January 12 2010 A 7.0-Magnitude Earthquake Devastated Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Though the dead are going uncounted and unidentified in Haiti while authorities attempt to bury those killed during the earthquake and its aftermath, experts estimate a staggering death toll of 200,000 people. Rhode Islanders gave money, prayed and went to Haiti to help the people there.
• February 27 2010 Chile An 8.8 magnitude earthquake rocked Chile. 750 people were killed in the devastation and as many as 1.5 million people are displaced. Rhode Islanders said “that so sad.”
• But then on March 31st 2010, what we were seeing from a distance came home to us here in Rhode Island. Heavy rains caused flooding that cost hundreds of millions of dollars in damage. Twenty thousand homes lost power in Cranston alone. Interstate 95 was shut down and thousands of people were stranded on roads for hours. Hundreds of cars have been ruined. Thousands of houses were flooded. There are no fatalities or injuries reported. Rhode Islanders should be thanking God for His protection. This is just a wake-up call. The question is, are you up yet? We are no better that the people in Haiti or the people in Oklahoma. Rhode Island has been spared by the mercy of God Almighty and I am here today to warn you not to take it for granted. Do not think that we are out of the woods. If the rains continue and the waters rise quickly and people begin to die, are you ready? Many people are ready to live but they are not ready to die. Is your heart right with God? Have you confessed your sins and made your peace with Almighty God?
Well you may say, “Pastor what are you talking about, I am fine. I never killed anybody I live a good honest life. I am not a sinner.”
But listen to me for a moment. Hear what God says:
Psalm 53:2-3 God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God. 3 Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.