Summary: When we come to Him in prayer, we come acknowledging His Kingship in our lives (posture) and pray for His will to be done on earth (purpose).
Matt 6:9-10 EMBRACING HIS KINGDOM & HIS WILL
9 "This, then, is how you should pray: "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
1. Jesus set us an example
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
· He had a goal - His eyes were fixed at the JOY set before Him...
o The joy of completing the work of redemption, the work of reconciling man to God
o The work He has come to perform - for our eternal benefit and for God’s glory
o The joy of seeing every lost soul having a chance to return to the Father’s home
o His joy was the joy of seeing the Father’s purposes fulfilled
· It was "for the sake of " this - He is going to make some sacrifices
o He was determined to endure the cross, to suffer the shame...
o He was ’dead determined’ to do ALL He can, so that God’s will be done
2. Therefore the verse before this tells us - let us do the same...
Heb 12:1 "...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
· There is a race already marked out for us.
· We have a given AGENDA - it is a God-given agenda
· Not our own agenda... Are you surprised? Whose agenda are you following today?
· This world tells us to LIVE your own life and DO your own thing.
· But the Bible revealed to us a HIGHER CALLING...
3. Ours is a PURPOSE-DRIVEN life
· I believe the book The Purpose Driven Life was a hot seller because man is craving for meaning and purpose in life.
· God has so made us - and wired us - to know Him and do His will.
· If we are running on our own agenda, life will not be purposeful and fulfilling.
4. We need to ALIGN ourselves back into God’s AGENDA
· That is why in the Lord’s Prayer - Jesus draws our attention back to God...
· After saying, "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your Name..." (Matt 6:9)
· The next line - v.10 "Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
· God’s agenda is top on the list of my life’s agenda!
5. YOUR KINGDOM COME
· When you say, "Your kingdom come," you’re inviting Him to walk into your world.
· We are acknowledging His right to rule in our lives - not just this world.
· Therefore if we are making no attempts to make Him Lord of our lives, we cannot pray these words with integrity.
· And when He steps in - in what manner do you think He’s stepping in?
· When we talk about Kingdom, we must be thinking of the KING. He is going to step into your world as LORD and KING.
· We are to invite Him in - be the Lord of this land. Be present in my office. Come into my marriage. Be Lord of my family. Be the Shepherd of my heart.
· This is no feeble request. It’s a bold appeal for God to occupy every corner of your life.
· Are you prepared for this? Jesus showed us when He prayed in the Garden – “Not my will, but Yours be done.” - a recognition that God’s will is supreme in His life.