Summary: God wants us to empty ourselves so He can fill us with Himself.
2 KINGS 4:1-7 “EMPTY”
A) In the days of Elijah and Elisha in Israel .......
* The principle prophets of God gathered about them a group of God’s workers
called “the sons of the prophets.”
* One of these “sons of the prophets” died leaving debts and the creditor harassed
the widow, seeking to sell her two sons as bondservants to pay the debt.
B) Some Bible teachers believe that Obadiah of 1 Kings 18 could have been
the husband of this widow.
* Be as that may, we know that she is the widow of a prophet, and prior to his
death she had no worries.
* Everything is going well until death came knocking on her door and then her
whole life was turned upside down.
C) Just look at here life now – The husband is dead – He brought heartache
to his wife and almost brought slavery to his sons by having debts unpaid.
* The widow was utterly heartbroken ... She grieved over her dead husband.
D) No doubt she grieved over the unpaid debts as any godly woman would do.
* And she was emotionally out of control that the pitiless creditor was about to
take her 2 sons into bondage.
E) The cupboards are bare – The bank account has no money in it.
* The only thing she has left is a little pot of oil – Now she is totally empty
and feeling hopeless.
* However, she CRIED out to the Prophet Elisha in her despair – v.1.
F) God’s faithful prophet Elisha had a remedy which God showed him.
* Thank God there is always a way out for a child of God if we go to God
and trust Him.
* I mean, who could be more helpless than such a poor widow in Bible times?
G) She had no trade, she couldn’t teach school nor be a secretary as modern
* She had her 2 sons to care for – Had no money to live on and was faced with
* You talking about somebody being at the end of their rope, brother she was.
H) But she came to God through His prophet and God showed the way out.
* Let us remember that when trouble comes, the thing to do is come to God.
* Psa. 50:15 “And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou
shalt glorify me.”
I) God loves us – He always has plenty – He always knows a way out.
* Let me share with you several things as we focus on the word “empty.”
(1) THE REASON FOR THE EMPTINESS
A) Death had robbed her of her husband and her means of support.
* And debt was wrapped around her neck, choking the very life out of her and she
was absolutely hopeless.
B) She is suffering from depression – She was going to lose her sons if
something didn’t happen, and happen quickly.
* She was desperate – She turned to the prophet when all things were gone
from the house except a little pot (bottle) of oil.
C) These things that this widow went through are the same things that will
bring emptiness in our lives as well.
* Death of a spouse or a loved one – Debt has choked many with unhappiness.
D) Rom. 13:8 “Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he .......”
* Prov. 22:7 “The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to .......”
E) Depression is real even to believers – Let’s define depression: A state of
feeling sad; a pressing down.
* There are times in Christians’ lives that they are sad – They do feel pressed
down – Then that depression makes us turn to Someone for help.
* And that Someone is Jesus – Listen to some promises in the Word of God.
F) Psa. 57:2 “I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth .......”
* Psa. 61:2 “From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart .......”
* Psa. 107:19 “Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saveth .......”
G) Psa. 141:1 “LORD, I cry unto thee: make haste unto me; give ear .......”
* Luke 11:9 “And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and .......”
* John 14:14 “If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.”
* And there’s plenty more where those came from, but I think you get it.
(2) THE REALITY OF THE EXPERIENCE
A) Provision Of A Possession – She stilled owned a little bottle of oil.
* If you’ll notice, what she needed was already in her house – v.2.