Summary: An outline of End Time Prophecy
Basics In Understanding Prophecy
The Purpose of Bible prophecy.
- To proclaim judgment with the hope that people would repent, and to provide hope for those in the
midst of suffering. (see 1Thess 4:18)
Why should one interpret prophecy literally?
Should prophecies in the OT given to Israel be applied to the Church?
- against the literal interpretation see Berkhof p.712-713
- illustration of OT prophecy applied to the church
- Ezek 11:19 2Cor 3:3 & Jer 31:33 Heb 10:16,
What is the key to knowing if something should be understood figuratively, or literally?
- check the context to see if it is speaking with symbols
(Revelation is a good example of the use of symbols)
- always interpret Scripture literally, spiritualize, or symbolize if the Biblilical text says to interpret it in such a way.
The concept of Near - Far view prophecy.
Isaiah 61 parallel Lk 4:16-20
Matt 24 the Mt Olivet discourse
Zech 12:1-14:21 ?
Joel 1:1-2:17 near 2:18-3:21 far
Key to finding Far View prophecy
- In that day
II. The Rapture 1 Thess 4:15-18, 1 Cor 15:51-54, Rev 4:1
III. The Judgment Seat of Christ Rom 14:10, 1 Cor 3:10-15, 2 Cor 5:10
IV. The Tribulation (see Revelation 5:1-19:21)
A. There will be a believing remnant during the tribulation Zech 11:7
B. Some will come deceiving many saying they are Christ Matt 24:4-5, 23-26
C. The Battle (campaign) of Armageddon Joel 3:1-3,9-16
D. There will be famine and earthquakes Matt 24:7
E. Believers will be persecuted and put to death Matt 24:9
F. The suffering will be unequaled from the beginning of time Matt 24:21
G. A siege against Jerusalem Zech 12:1-3
H. 1/2 of Jerusalem will be taken into exile Zech 14:1-2
I. Those in Judah will flee to the mountains Matt 24:16-20
J. Those who are able stand to the end will be delivered Matt 24:13
V. The Second Coming
A. The coming of the Son of Man will be visible like lightning coming from the East Matt 24:27
B. His feet will touch the Mt. of Olives, and it will divide Zech 14:4
C. He will return to Jerusalem Zech 9:14
D. Christ will rule Zech 6:13
VI. The Judgment of the Sheep and Goats Matt 25:31-46
A. Christ will sit on His throne v.31
B. All the nations will be gathered v.32 (see also 24:31)
C. The sheep will be separated from the goats v.32-33
D. The sheep will receive an eternal inheritance v. 34
E. Selfless service an indication of being a sheep v.35-45
F. The goats will receive eternal condemnation v.41, 46
VII. The Millennium
A. Christ’s government
1. He will judge Isa 11:3,4; 29:20; 42:13; 49:26; 59:17-18;61:2; 63:3-4; 65:11-16; 66:14-16
2. He will rule on the throne of David Isa 9:6-7; 11:1,10:16:5, Micah 4:1-4
3. He will bring justice Isa 28:5-6; 60:14
4. He will be received by the nations Isa 11:10
5. Every knee will bow and swear allegiance Isa 45:23-24
B. The Blessings of the Kingdom
2. The survivors of the Tribulation will be saved Isa 4:3
3. There will be widespread repentance Isa 31:7
4. There will be worldwide salvation Isa 9:2; 11:9-10