Summary: God obviously wants us to know what will happen in the End Times because his Word contains so much about those times. The New Testament teachings about the end times are often developed from Old Testament passages, like Daniel 12:1-3.
End Times Midrash: Rapture and Tribulation
(Daniel 12:1 and many New Testament verses based on this verses)
1. A lot of people fear the world is going to end in 2012, based upon the Mayan calendar. Other people are hearing trumpet sounds in the sky, like a shofar.
2. What does the Bible say about the end times? I have provided a chart.
Let’s begin with some cautions.
3. As we continue on in this series, please do not give me books, CDs, DVDs, tapes, articles, or web links – at least not without asking my permission.
4. Also understand that our church takes a stand, so please do not expect me to get involved in arguments about basic framework of our end time beliefs.
5. Article XIV reads, “We believe that one day Jesus Christ will return to resurrect the dead in Christ and to immortalize "we who remain." We also believe that there will be a seven year period of God’s wrath on the earth, called the Tribulation or Daniel’s 70th week. We believe that a literal millennium (thousand year reign of Christ) will follow the Tribulation, during which God will once again exalt His nation, Israel (premillennialism). We recognize the diversity of opinion as regards the return of Christ to the clouds (the "rapture") and its relationship to the tribulation. Though our position has historically been that of Pretribulationalism, we can accept members with other viewpoints.
6. For some, the study of prophecy is a test of faith.
• We profess to believe that all Scripture is inspired and profitable
• Yet many believers would argue that studying the prophetic parts of Scripture is not spiritually profitable. (the 2 cannot both be true)
• must be important to our spiritual health whether we realize it or not, whether we understand it all or not.
7. A reasonable amount of prophetic study is important to a well-balanced spiritual diet. Some people overdose on it; most do not.
Main Idea: God obviously wants us to know what will happen in the End Times because his Word contains so much about those times. The New Testament teachings about the end times are often developed from Old Testament passages, like Daniel 12:1-3.
I. Michael Arises: The RAPTURE? (Daniels 12:1a)
(number 3 on chart)
A. The only angel called an ARCHANGEL in Scripture (Jude 1:9)
I Thessalonians 4:16-17, “For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.”
Jude 1:9a, “But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil…”
1. We usually associate the trumpet sound of the angel with Gabriel
2. But only Michael is actually called an archangel
3. He is Israel’s special protector
4. Thus Israel must exist as a nation in the end times
B. Paul’s midrash may include the ADDITION of new material
Don’t let the Word “midrash” scare you. It’s not complex: