Summary: Our fight is not against flesh and blood, but rather against the spiritual realm. Defeat the Devil at his game with SUPERIOR tools.
Equipping for Victory
(Dealing with the Devil and Deliverance)
Intro to Revival: Revival is defined in Merriam-Webster’s dictionary: renewed attention to or interest in something b : a new presentation or publication of something old. This weekend I want to present revival that is relevant for today! It is about renewing our interest in the things of God, renewing the love we have for God and in turn others. Revival is about presenting the fact that we can live as “more than conquerors.”
One of the true marks of a time of revival and evangelism is prayer! Let us purpose to get back to prayer!
We’re going to purpose to be revived and beat the devil on his own turf as well as see God in His Glory through the miracles that He is going to show this weekend. Amen!
I. What is Spiritual Warfare?
a. Who / what are we battling?
i. 1 Peter 5:8 (“be sober, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”)
ii. Satan’s power is dunamis(might/force) while when Scripture speaks of the believer’s power it uses exousia (authority or control over.) He (Satan) has NO authority
iii. Deception (Genesis 3)
iv. Ultimate goal is to “steal, kill and destroy” as in John 10:10
v. Hierarchy of principalities, powers, rulers of darkness & spiritual wickedness
b. What are his targets?
1. his “wiles” (Eph 6:11) (lies in wait)
2. we give him power only when we yield to his enticements/lies
3. Galatians 5:17 – overcoming sinful desires that oppose God’s purposes, plans and priorities
a. Sexual immorality
b. Emotional imbalance
d. Slavery to bad habits
e. Speech perversion
3. Death or the fear of any of the above
iv. Relationships with People (envy, strife, bitterness, hatred, gossip)
v. Relationship with God (sin, backbiting, sickness, poverty, pain)
c. Demonic attack and attempt at possession (of non-believers)
II. How Do We Battle?
a. Identify and Recognize
i. James 4:7 “Resist(recognize) the devil and he will flee (shun or literally escape) from you.”
ii. Colossians 2:13-15: “And having spoiled principalities and powers, He made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.”
iii. We are MORE than conquerors
b. Be Strong in the Lord
1. Be strong or courageous in His cause
2. Feel that He is your strength and rely on Him and His promise
ii. Name of Jesus (Luke 10:17-19 READ)
1. Their lives with Christ and their faith in Him was effective against the devils
2. By the name of Jesus, His eternal Word and the blood of the Lamb of God, we can stand boldly against his attacks.
3. Proverbs 18:10 “The name of the Lord is a strong tower..”
a. Devil HATES that name
b. When Jesus would show up the demons would proclaim that they knew Who He was and that He had come to torment them before the time.
c. Devil CANNOT penetrate the tower/name of the Lord
iii. The Blood of Jesus
1. Is a covering over mind, spirit and body
2. When Jesus shed His blood – it conquered (SIN, DEATH, DISEASE, EVERY OTHER THING)
3. There is POWER in His blood
c. Our Weapons are not Carnal
i. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses/strongholds”
ii. You will not succeed by using talent ability or intelligence
iii. We must know how to use spiritual weapons
d. The Whole Armor
i. Luke 11:22 – “But when someone stronger than he attacks him and overpowers him, he takes away from him all his armor on which he had relied and distributes his plunder.”
1. Do not go armed partly with what God has appointed. We need “the WHOLE” armor.
ii. Gird loins with truth (belt of truth)
1. Girdle was highly ornamented / centerpiece of armor
2. Get the word of Christ dwelling in you so richly that you do not entertain any doubts, fears or insecurities about God’s promises.
iii. Breastplate of righteousness
1. Breastplate protects vital part of our body, our heart
2. Heart is where God’s word is
iv. Shod feet with preparation of the gospel of peace
1. Christian is to be prepared to meet battle by having the gospel of peace bound to his feet
2. Makes for quick movements against attacks
3. Peace that passes all understanding
v. Shield of Faith
1. Extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one
2. 1 Peter 1:5 “who are protected by the power of God through faith…”
3. Faith comes by hearing, hearing by the Word