Summary: This is the fith sermon in a 5 part sermon series on the mission of our church.
The Redeeming River Church is a family of believers committed to preaching the cross with conviction, reaching the lost with compassion, and equipping the saints with the Word!
Three results of not understanding the Mission.
1. Plateaued Growth - growth seems to reach a certain level and then drop back down
2. Internal Conflict - constant infighting caused by an ignorance of what should be happening
3. Low Moral - leaders become discouraged when structure or bureaucracy stymies their vision for growth
1. Equipping - Provide with something for a specific purpose
2. The Saints – those who have come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ
3. With The Word – ‘logos’ denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in creation and government of the universe, the cause of all the world’s life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement of man’s salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth conspicuously from His words and deeds.
I. JUST GIVE ME THE WORD
A. SOMEBODY IS WAITING ON THE WORD
1. Before a battle - Foot soldiers wait on the word to attack
2. Before a symphany – Players wait on the conductors cue or word
3. Before a child feels blessed – They wait on a parents word to bless them
4. Before a person with faith has the power of God move through them – They wait on a word from the Holy Spirit to quicken them
B. SINCE THE BEGINNING MAN KIND HAS BEEN WAITING ON A WORD
1. John 1:1-5
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2The same was in the beginning with God.
3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
2. Jesus is the embodiment of the plan of God
3. Since the beginning He was there
4. That means that since the beginning of time God knew He was going to love on us so much that he would sacrifice himself for us.
5. The Word is the embodiment of God’s heart toward us
6. When God said “Let there be light” He knew that we would be able to behold the beauty of His creation.
7. When God created the firmament, He knew that one day you would look over the horizon and see His handywork
8. When God separated the earth from the waters, He had already predestined for His son to be on a ship on a stormy sea...He knew he would say “peace be still”, and the disciples would see...
9. When God created the Sun He created it so that you could watch it go over the horizon every evening
10. When He formed the stars and hung them
11. When He molded the moon and attached its orbit to the earth
12. He knew that we would see how much he loves us
13. He gave the birds a song in the morning
14. The plants he made them exhale oxygen and intake carbon dioxide, because
15. His prized creation was waiting to be formed out of the dust of the ground
16. Through His heart to be loved and to love
17. Through His Word...He formed us
18. He breathed into us...and we became living souls!
C. THE WORD IS ALIVE
1. Not only has the Word been around since the beginning
2. The Word is alive today
3. He was alive when Stephen was stoned
4. Acts 7:55
55But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
5. He was alive when Paul was converted
6. Acts 9:3
3And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
4And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
5And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
7. He is alive now...
8. He is alive forevermore!
D. THE WORD CANNOT BE DESTROYED
35Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.