Summary: Our text this day speaks of finding the escape hatch. Death is not inevitable! We must, like Dmitry Kolesnikov, keep hope alive. There is a way out of this delima/temptation.
I CORINTHIANS 10: 1-13
NOVEMBER 5, 2000
INTRODUCTION: (Mount Holly Pageant/temptation) THE KURSK: 118 SAILORS DIED IS SUB SINKING: READ PRINT OUTS
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Our text this day speaks of finding the escape hatch. Death is not inevitable! We must, like Dmitry Kolesnikov, keep hope alive. There is a way out of this delima/temptation.
THESIS SENTENCE: God’s faithfulness is revealed during temptation.
I. THE BLESSING GIVEN: GOD’S FAITHFULNESS DISPLAYED vs. 1-4
A. Leadership of the cloud as a guide to deliverance
B. The crossing of the Red Sea, God’s deliverance from the enemy!
C. Manna sent from Heaven, no cooking required, meets all essential requirements.
D. Water pours from the Rock/ both wet and living, with God, no one goes thirsty E. Note the recipients of God’s blessing: ALL! (Vs. 1, EVERY ONE DID!)
F. New Testament Application: Just as God delivered the Hebrews through the Exodus from Egypt, God has delivered all people through the death and resurrection of Jesus.
G. The blessings never end!
II. THE WARNING GIVEN: THE BLESSING MUST NOT BE TAKEN FOR GRANTED: GOD’S FAITHFULNESS IS CONDITIONAL UPON OUR RESPONSE VS. 5-12
A. God was not pleased with all [Matthew 7:13 Wide and narrow way]
1. Regardless of the blessing, Most displease God!
2. The blessings of God do not equal security in Salvation
3. Displeasing God leads to “Scatter bodies over the Desert (vs. 5).”
B. The example is given: Do not set your hearts on evil things (as they did).
1. Idolatry (Exodus 32: 1-6)
2. Sexual immorality (Numbers 25: 1-9)
3. Putting the Lord (Christ) to the test (Numbers 21: 4-7)
4. Complaining (Numbers 14: 1-38; 16: 41
C. Do not, let me repeat, do not follow this example
1. Look what happened to all those “Chosen People.”
2. Vs. 12, If you think: Be Careful: Do not FALL!
3. Implication: Can you fall? Or, You can fall! Wesleyan Doctine!
III. THE WAY OUT GIVEN: GOD’S FAITHFULNESS REPRISED! THE BLESSING CONTINUES! VS. 13
A. God does not forget us in our time of temptation.
B. There is a divine provision:
1. We are protected from being overwhelmed
a. We are only tempted by what is common to Man! Don’t think you are the only one or all alone in your struggle, that is Satan’s lie.
b. We are never tempted beyond what we can bear.
2. An escape hatch is given: He will provide a way out!
AN ASIDE: IF WE DON’T HAVE TO YEILD TO TEMPTATION, WOULD THAT MAKE US SINLESS? YES?
3. Sustenance is give to Endure Temptation: You can stand up under it!
CONCLUSION: How do you fair under temptation?
Have you taken God’s Blessing/Faithfulness for granted:
A little Sin never hurt anyone, a little idolatry is okay
A little sexual immorality, everyone does it.
Testing Jesus: I just want to prove His love
Constant complaining: I am just sharing prayer request
God annihilated Most of Them (vs. 5)
God wants to give you a way out!
IF YOU NEED STRENGTH TO STAND: COME