Summary: Escaping some hidden traps that can hurt the life of a pastor and his ministry. It's a teaching outline.
Topic: Escaping pastoral snares
- a snare is a trap!
- a snare may be something originally good that has been abused into the users hurt.
Ex. Gen 49:14-15.
- a snare is a hunting instrument!
Ex. Ps 91:3
-i- when a life is caught in a snare; it begins to produce negatively surprising results.
Ex. Judg 8:27.... Gideon vs idol worship heritage.
Ex. Pro 22:24-25
-ii- when a life is caught in a snare; over time, the purposes of the crafty begins to prevail.
Ex. Abraham vs Hagar.
Ex. Pharaoh vs Moses.
-iii- when a life is caught in a snare; the light begins to go dim!
Ex. 1 Kgs 11:4 & Neh 13:26.... Solomon vs many women.
-iv- when a life is caught in a mature snare; destiny afflictions begin.
Ex. Judg 16:19-21.... Samson @ Delilah vs affliction!
You will not be the victim of any snare!
Let's look @ 7 snares that can afflict a minister of God:
-1- the snare of the independent mindset.
- if you learn to do ministry without God, you will suffer the shame of the ungodly!
Ex. 1 Sam 15:1-23.... Saul didn't understand being led!
Ex. 1 Sam 23:1-13.... David @ Keilah vs will they betray me!
Ex. 2 Sam 5:19-25.... David @ Baal-perazim vs mulberry trees!
-2- the snare of evil association.
- whom you follow affects what follows you!
Ex. 1 Cor 15:33.... Wrong mentors & friends & counsellors.
Ex. 2 Kgs 13:1-7.... Amnon vs Jonadab = end of destiny!
Pro 13:20 = companion of fools.
-3- the snare of licentious grace.
- when someone accepts that sin doesn't matter anymore & grace covers all rebellion, that is when sin quickly becomes the main matter & rebellion against grace begins.
Ex. 1 Cor 5:1-13.... Paul the preacher of grace vs discipline in holiness!
-4- the snare of the messiah complex.
- no pastor can do it all & none is sent to everyone!
- your ministry is maximised in the things & people you're 'graced' for & sent to!
Ex. 1 Cor 9:16-23.... Paul was everything to everyman & ended in prison @ Jerusalem.
Acts 20:22-24.... Why should Paul ignore the Holy Spirit warnings?
-5- the snare of the strange oil
- sometimes pastors receive impartation from familiar spirit agents.
Rev 2:14-15;20.... Often strange spirits follow strange men!
Ex. 1 Sam 28:5-8.... Saul vs desperation for victory!
-6- the snare of early gratification
- if you primarily go after material things, you will forfeit the true riches of God.
Ex. 2 Kgs 5:21-27.... The Gehazi problem.
Ex. 1 Tim 6:9-10.
- don't take a destiny short cut to wealth!
-7- the snare of dependency on man.
- it is impossible to have one eye looking upwards & the other looking downwards; you can't look up to God & man at the same time!
Finally.... it is possible to escape any snares!
Question: How do we escape the snares of ministry?
-a- be led by the spirit through the word.
-b- follow & associate right.
-c- resist the curse of the wicked.
-d- be sensitive in watching.