Summary: The Church of Esmirna lived in a time of tremendous pursuit and suffering. God gave them a message of fortitude that helps us today to keep on covering the career in spite of the present difficulties.
Mayor Gerardo Balmori
The Salvation Army
• The City of Esmirna was a commercial port, which principal product was the myrrh. It was a
beautiful city, which streets had been planned well. One of these streets had been covered of gold,
and was connecting the temple of Zeus and the temple of Shibolet. The city was known as the Flower
• Prophetically, Esmirna represents the church that suffers. During the period of the year 100 to
312 DC, the church spread in the middle of a terrible persecution. The word Esmirna stems from
myrrh, obtained substance of the gum is bitter of a shrub. The leaves were ground to obtain perfume
used to embalm. He was met as a symbol of suffering, martyrdom and death.
• The Church of Esmirna lived in a time of tremendous pursuit and suffering. God gave them a
message of fortitude that helps us today to keep on covering the career in spite of the present
Mathew 2:11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed
down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold
and of incense and of myrrh.
I. The Source of our strength: Jesus Christ
• Revelations 2:8 To the angel of the church in Smyrna write:
These are the words of him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again.
A) The First and the Last.
• He is always there.
B) Who died and came to life again.
• He conquered the worst enemy that we have.
II. The Confrontation
A) When they delivered his life to Christ, the pressure began.
• Revelation 2:9 I know your afflictions and your poverty—yet you are rich! I know the slander of
those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
• Many lost their job, lost business, friends and family.
• We do not follow Jesus for the benefits that we obtain, but for obedience to the truth.
• II Corinthians 6:10 Sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing,
and yet possessing everything.
• Which are the things that I have that even death cannot take from me?
B) Faithfully to the death.
• Revelation 2:10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some
of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the
point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.
• Testing: We will be tested. The metal is warmed to see if it is genuine. The faith that cannot be
proved is not reliable. The suffering puts to test our faith.
• Loyalty is based on conviction. The reliability of a person is based on the strength of his
• Daniel 3:17-18 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from
it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to
know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."
• Polycarpus said: For 86 years I have served Jesus Christ and he has never hurt me. How should I
• James 1:12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he