Summary: WALKING IN THE LIGHT OF GOD’S WORD IS THE PATHWAY TO EXPERIENCING THE GIFT OF GOD’S FREEDOM
WALKING IN THE LIGHT OF GOD’S WORD IS THE PATHWAY
TO EXPERIENCING THE GIFT OF GOD’S FREEDOM
I. (:129-131) THERE IS NOTHING MORE SATISFYING THAN
WALKING IN THE LIGHT OF GOD’S WORD
A. (:129) God’s Word is Wonderful
"Thy testimonies are wonderful; Therefore my soul observes them."
B. (:130) God’s Word is Enlightening
"The unfolding of Thy words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple."
C. (:131) God’s Word is Thirst Quenching (Satisfying)
"I opened my mouth wide and panted, For I longed for Thy commandments."
II. (:132-135) THERE IS NOTHING MORE LIBERATING THAN
EXPERIENCING THE GIFT OF GOD’S FAVOR
1. (:132) God’s Grace
"Turn to me and be gracious to me, After Thy manner with those who love Thy name."
2. (:133a) God’s Direction
"Establish my footsteps in Thy word"
B. Results in:
1. (:133b) Freedom from the Oppression of Sin
"And do not let any iniquity have dominion over me"
2. (:134) Freedom from the Oppression of Man
"Redeem me from the oppression of man, That I may keep Thy precepts."
C. (:135) Restatement:
"Make Thy face shine upon Thy servant, And teach me Thy statutes."
III. (:136) THERE IS NOTHING MORE TRAGIC THAN
WATCHING PEOPLE REBEL AGAINST GOD’S WORD
"My eyes shed streams of water, Because they do not keep Thy law."
* * * * * * * * * *
1) What things do we consider to be “wonderful”? How does the Word of God rank in our assessment?
2) Are we blessed with so much “light” in terms of the Lord revealing His Word to us and enlightening us to understand His ways that we have forgotten the despair of those who dwell in darkness? Is our heart moved with compassion to reach out to those who still dwell in darkness and proclaim the Light of the world who is Jesus?
3) Is there any sin that still has “dominion” over me? Am I actively seeking God’s favor that He would “Turn to me and be gracious to me” that He would make His face shine upon me?
4) When was the last time we cried over the lost rebellious condition of others?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)