Summary: This message is to reveal to each member of the Body of Christ concerning his/her right position with God, through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Established in Righteousness !
Foundational Text: Isaiah 54:14 In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee.
We want to pursue teaching on our good position of righteousness.
So we want to revisit some things tonight concerning your good position! We said that righteousness is not a thing, such as healing, prosperity, but that it is a good position. We quoted E.W. Kenyon in his definition of righteousness, “it is the ability to stand before a holy God without the sense of guilt, shame, or condemnation, as if sin had never existed.”
I. In righteousness shalt thou be established!
A. Established = kûn: A verb meaning to set up, to make firm, to establish, to prepare. The primary action of this verb is to cause to stand in an upright position, and thus the word also means fixed or steadfast. It signifies the action of setting in place or erecting an object. It also means to be prepared, be ready, prosperous.
Have you ever heard someone talking about someone who came into a great inheritance, or possibly won the lottery, and someone says concerning them, “they are set for life? What are they saying? They are established!
1. In righteousness is covenant terminology. Remember “IN HIM”
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
2. This means that there is a position that we can obtain that make us set up, make firm, that will in fact make us stand in an upright position, a position that we will be set in place!
3. Ephesians 2:1-7 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; (2) Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: (3) Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. (4) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, (5) Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) (6) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: (7) That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
4. (AMP) You shall establish yourself in righteousness (rightness, in conformity with God’s will and order): you shall be far from even the thought of oppression or destruction, for you shall not fear, and from terror, for it shall not come near you.
II. Establish Yourself !
A. Jesus has established all of mankind in this good position, and it is a finished work. We simply become joint heirs in this covenant position. Our responsibility is to make Him Lord of our Life!
1. Example: Lifeboat Jesus. Imagine if you will a lifeboat big enough to fit all of the people of our city, 50,000 plus. Suddenly, we experience a massive flood, similar to Katrina of the south. There is enough room for everyone in the city, yet their only responsibility is to “get in the boat”. Their “good position” is found in the boat. Do you see how our righteousness is obtained?
2 Peter 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; How many know that once those floods rains began, Noah and his family had a good position?
2. Romans 5:17-21 For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) (18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. (19) For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. (20) Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: (21) That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
3. Yes, we are saved by grace, lest any man should boast. When we are saved we are put in a good position! Getting back to our big boat example: What if you were saved from the flood, only to put placed next to the city’s notorious ax murderer, who by the way is still carrying his ax? Would you say that you were in a good position? Listen, we weren’t just saved, according to verse 17, we not only received an abundance of grace, but we also received the gift of righteousness.