Summary: PRIORITIES WITH SELF
ESTABLISHING PRIORITIES - PRIORITIES WITH SELF
Phil 3:13, 14
“13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
Intro: Last year a new word that appeared and seems to be embraced by the social media was "selfie". This is when someone puts aside everyone and everything just to take a picture of them and put it in the social media.
We defined priorities as: something that is important than other things and that needs to be done or dealt with first. So, what seems important to some may not be as important to others. How than do we establish priorities that will balance out in our lives?
That is why they need to be established within the margins of the Holy Scripture. Let us see the Biblical concept of priorities with self.
I. THE NEED TO ESTABLISH PRIORITIES WITH SELF
1) We have an uncontrolled life
1. Ex. 32:25 “25 Moses saw that the people were running wild and that Aaron had let them get out of control and so become a laughingstock to their enemies.”
2) Our way or the highway
(1) Sinful nature
1. Prov 14:12 “12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death”
3) The easy way out
(1) Deceitful heart
1. Mat 7:13 “13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.”
4) I don't care attitude
(1) The hardening of the heart
1. Eph 4:18 “18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.”
II. WHY ESTABLISH PRIORITIES
1) We need God in my life
(1) It is through Him that we have what is in our hand
1. Dt. 8:18 “18 But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today.”
2) We need discipline in my life - a way of behaving that shows a willingness to obey
rules or orders
(1) Values and morals are behavior traits that need discipline
3) We need to stop thinking of self – Our life is not about "selfies"
(1) Mat 22:37-39 “37 Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
4) We need to think about the future- way beyond this life
1) Mat 6:19, 20 “19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.”
III. THE PRIORITIES THAT SHOULD BE PLACED
1) Time with God