Summary: HEAVEN IS A PROMISE!!
ETERNITY MATTERS PART 2: HEAVEN OUR PROMISE
JOHN 14: 1-14
JANUARY 12, 2003
INTRODUCTION: WHICH WAY YOU WENT
Years ago a man was searching his family roots and visited several cemeteries and read many inscriptions on the tombstones. There was one tombstone on which was engraved "Pause now stranger as you pass by; as you are now, so once was I. as I am now, so soon you will be. Prepare yourself to follow me!"
Next to the tombstone someone placed a piece of wood engraged with this note... "To follow you I am not content until I know which way you went."
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Today we will continue to discuss Heaven and Hell: ETERNITY MATTERS!! Today I want to talk to us about the promises of HEAVEN! Just like the wood states, I only want to follow those whose destination I know! Heaven is the place easiest to consider. I wondered if I should even preach on the place, because about 80% of all Americans believe in the place anyway, whether Christian or not, but then as I started digging into the word, a strong truth came to me: Heaven is more than a Place, it is a promise!!
THESIS SENTENCE: HEAVEN IS A PROMISE!!
I. HEAVEN IS A PROMISED PEACE (V. 1)
A. PEACE is finding comfort in another.
Jesus says, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.”
1. Jesus had been building relationships since he was born. Just like us, he belong to a family and then to a community and surely to a Synagogue. But now he is about to wrap up his ministry and has built a core group of followers around him.
2. Jesus knew it was about time for him to meet with the destiny God had set before him. He knows all things and knows that we have need. He knew his disciples needed comfort for the days to come.
3. Jesus knew that the disciples were about to be thrown for a loop. There earthly relationship was about to be terminated.
4. How would you feel if your best friend was about to move across country and you would not be able to see them?
5. If you look back a few chapters, Jesus has already predicted his death (12:20ff), that he will be betrayed (13:18), and that Peter will deny him (13:31ff). With all of this information, the disciples were surely confused and perplexed.
6. IN the midst of the confusion of life, Jesus says, “Do not let your hearts be troubled (14:1).”
B. PEACE IS BEING KNOWN
1. Jesus knows our hearts.
2. He knows that you are in need of peace and grace. He says to you, don’t let your hearts be troubled, have faith in me and I will see you through.
C. PEACE IS OVERCOMING THE UNKNOWN
1. Our greatest fear is the unknown.
2. He knows this and He is with us to calm our fears.
D. PEACE IS BUILT ON TRUST
1. Jesus says, “you Trust God, Trust also in me.”
2. Now the disciples knew Him and knew of His Trust worthiness. But, God was the end all. God definitely can be trusted. Jesus says, “I am no different.”
ILLUSTRATION: KEITH BARTS, a friend of Eric Taylor, spoke to me ON HIS FATHER COMING TO KNOW JESUS. THIS WAS BASED ON WHAT HE HAD SEEN IN HIS SON, DAUGHTERS AND WIFE. “YOU HAVE FAITH IN US, NOW HAVE FAITH IN WHO WE HAVE FAITH IN!”
NOT ONLY DOES HE PROMISE US HEAVEN IS A PLACE OF PEACE, HE ASSURES US THAT:
II. HEAVEN IS A PLACE PREPARED (vv. 2-3)
A. JESUS PREPARES THE PLACE!
1. Jesus holds out before us the hope of eternal life as He tells the disciples of a home not prepared by human hands, but made in the heavens by Christ Himself. He will prepare a place. Today, the work is done. He assures us there is NOW room in the INN, unlike when he came to find no place to live. Even as a man, Jesus said that the son of Man had no were to lay his head, unlike the birds who had nest or the foxes that had holes to sleep in.
2. PLACES ARE IMPORTANT:
a. When my Grandma and Aunt Linda moved into a new place, they had the old house torn down. Now that old house was special to me. I always liked the smell of the place. Probable the aroma of thousands of wonderful meals cooked. But it was a place of Sanctuary, if I can use that big word. It was a safe Haven. It was a place to rest my weary soul when life was too overwhelming for me.
b. Heaven is no different. It is a safe haven! It is our eternal Sanctuary!! It is a place where our weary souls will rest!!