Summary: Seing how God used the plauges in Egypt to bring followers unto Himself.
Evangelism through the Plagues of Egypt
• General Revelation – God reveals Himself in many ways.
• Often we think of the plagues as just a tool God used in order to free His people from bondage in Egypt, but God also had an evangelical motive behind what He did.
• The Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD
• They were specifically targeted to the Egyptian people for a specific purpose.
• They would only come to know God because He chose to “make Himself known.”
Romans 3:11b (NASB95)
There is none who seeks for God;
• God has always sought to reach beyond the nation of Israel to reveal Himself and His character to all people.
Romans 1:18-20 (NASB95)
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
• This was the evangelistic purpose of the plagues, so that the Egyptians would know the LORD was God and were without excuse.
• The Egyptians would “know” the matchlessness of God.
• The Egyptians worshipped over 80 different gods; however it was not God’s intention to just get added to the list of those they worshipped. (Russia)
• God’s purpose was that they would know and understand that He is the only all-powerful God worthy of worship.
• This is why we see 10 plagues instead of only one; with each one God was attacking the so-called sovereignty of one or more of their gods.
• Water turned to Blood
o The Nile was the lifeline of the Egyptian people
o Several gods that protected the Nile, the biggest being the Pharaoh himself who claimed to control the flooding of the Nile which was crucial to the agriculture in the area.
• Swarms of Locusts
o Gods that protected agriculture
• Darkness over the Land
o The sun-god Ra, whom Pharaoh claimed to be a descendant.
• It was the LORD alone who controls all things
Psalm 46:8-10 (NIV)
”Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire. Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
• Not only did God want them to know Him and to realize that He alone was God, but that they would also declare His name through out the earth.
• God is not satisfied with us just knowing Him, but He desires that our praise and worship be so great that it rings out over all the earth.
Isaiah 24:14-16 (NASB)
They raise their voices, they shout for joy; They cry out from the west concerning the majesty of the Lord. Therefore glorify the Lord in the east, The name of the Lord, the God of Israel, In the coastlands of the sea. From the ends of the earth we hear songs, “Glory to the Righteous One,”