Summary: you want to know how to be a loyal Christian friend?
Even Great Faith Needs Godly Fellowship
PROPOSITION: Because Christ is a friend that “sticketh closer than a brother”, you must be a loyal friend.
I. Intercede for others through showing sympathy!
Job’s appeal to his friends for mercy– show more sympathy!
A. Job desires sympathetic fellowship. 6:1-13
1. The reality of his suffering causes a need for sympathy (6:1-7).
the weight of his suffering (6:1-4).
the weightlessness of his friends counsel (6:5-7).
2. The desire to be faithful causes a desire for death (6:8-13).
The hopelessness of his situation (8-10).
Job’s sense of uselessness (11-13).
B. Job reproves his friends for their unsympathetic attitude! 6:14-30
1. Their need to know and discern the Word (6:14-23)
failing to fulfill their obligations of – loyal kindness (14).
the seriousness of their failure (15-23).
2. Their need to show love and compassion. (6:24-30)
Job accuses his friends of betraying him (24-27)
Job’s accuses his friends impugning his character/faith (28-30).
II. Intercede for others through fervent prayer.
Job’s appeal to God for mercy – lighten his sufferings!
A. He confesses the state of man! 7:1-10
1. The futility of life (7:1-5).
God should leave him alone because life is wretched (1-2).
God should leave him alone because he is suffering (3-6).
2. The brevity of life (7:6-10)
B. He complains about his state to the Lord! 7:11-21
1. Job vents his complaint (11-16).
trusting his cry will be heard (11-14).
the cry of meaningless suffering (15-16).
2. Job requests a reprieve (17-21).
Wonders why all this attention from God (17-18).
Wishes for God’s forgiveness (20-21).