Summary: How do I turn to Christ in times of despair?
Even Great Faith Struggles with Despair
PROPOSITION: Because Christ is your source of peace, you must turn to him in times of despair.
I. EMBRACE GOD’S PROVIDENTIAL WILL FOR YOUR LIFE.
Job’s curse of the day of his birth! v. 1-13
A. Grieving shows your humanity. (1-7)
1. Job curses the “Day of his birth” (3a, 4-5)
2. Job curses the “Night of his conception” (3b, 6-7)
B. Grieving reveals your depth of despair. (8-10)
1. His suffering causes irrational statements.
2. His suffering manifests his wrong perspective on life.
C. Grieving usually desires immediate relief. (11-13)
1. Job questions his experience of such pain (11-12).
2. Job views his source of relief as death (13).
II. RE-ESTABLISH A BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVE FOR YOUR LIFE.
Job laments his agony. v. 14-26
A. Do you long for the rest of Sheol? (14-19)
1. He envies death.
2. He sees no purpose in his life of agony.
B. Do your sorrows strangle your joy of living? (20-24)
1. Why is life given to those in misery?
2. Why is my life obstructed from God?
C. Do you live in fear of losing what you have? (25-26)
1. He feared a family tragedy (1:5).
2. He feared losing his spiritual estate.
3. He is despondent over his lack of trust in God.