Summary: An investigative look at Jesus’ last days before crucifixion Our search for the killer of Jesus: Prime suspects are Pharisees, the Chief Priest, Caiaphas, Judas, and the crowd. The crime seemed perfect. The Pharisees started it all, but turned it over to
Even perfect crimes backfire
An investigative look at Jesus’ last days before crucifixion
Our search for the killer of Jesus: Prime suspects are Pharisees, the Chief Priest, Caiaphas, Judas, and the crowd. The crime seemed perfect. The Pharisees started it all, but turned it over to the teachers and Chief Priest, Caiaphas. Caiaphas approved but turned it over to the governor Pilate. Pilate washed his hands of the situation, but gave his blessing. The pressure of the crowd seems to have forced the issue, but the roman soldiers drove the nails in his hands.
But as good CSI: investigators we must answer the question, “Who Killed Jesus?” God Killed Jesus!
The rest of our suspects – those who took part, are in no way exonerated.
The death of Christ was ordained and appointed by God Himself.
1. What is the Evidence that God did it?
Many times Words incriminate more than deeds
A. The OT writes of what would come.
- Ps 22:16-18 16, Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.
17, I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me.
18, They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my
- Isa 53:4-5 Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. 5, But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.
B. Jesus clearly understood his primary purpose – single purpose was to die for the lost world, under bondage of the prince of this world – Satan! Early in His ministry he began to allude to His future. He told His disciples the bridegroom would be taken away. Later He told them He would be three days in the belly of the earth. Matthew 20 – “Give Life as a ransom for many.”
- Most revealing words that tell us Jesus knew it was God that would send Him to the cross is from John 12:23-33
John 14:30-31 - I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me,31, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me. "Come now; let us leave.
C. The NT after Jesus’ death and resurrection understood it was God’s design. READ Acts 2:23 By God’s design, plan and foreknowledge, He Pharisees, Judas, Caiaphas, Pilate, Roman soldiers… Yet He never violated their will. He used their wicked hearts.
This brings us to the second question:
2. Why would God kill His own son?
A. To demonstrate His love for us (John 3:16)
John 3:16- "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (NIV)
B. To Demonstrate His Justice (Rom 3:25-26)
Rom 3:25-26 - God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, (mercy seat) through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished—26, he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. (NIV)
C. Due to His righteousness God cannot leave any sin unpunished. Due to His justice He provided the final, once-and- for-all payment for sin.
- The Psalmist said it correctly, Ps 85:10
Love and faithfulness meet together; righteousness and peace kiss each other. (NIV)
3. What does this mean for mankind?
A. Forgiveness of Sin
Rom 6:23, For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (NIV)
Col 2:13, When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, (NIV)
B. Power over death
“People Unlimited, Inc.” of CA invites you to live a life w/o dying, juts join and they will show you how.
- Or maybe you accept death now but believe someday scientists will conquer it, You can call ALCOR Life Extension Foundation. Through cryogenics they will freeze your head for $50,000 or your whole body for $150,000 with a $150.00 application fee.
C. Eternal Life
Woody Allen said, “I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying.”
People don’t give it much thought. Even though we know we won’t live forever we live like it and don’t think much of it.