Summary: Believers should show God’s holiness in all their behavior
Whole Family Makeover Series
Everybody Loves a Godly Man
February 13, 2005 First Baptist Church, Chester Mike Fogerson, Speaker
Dominic DeCarlo (What’s a Man? Pg. 34-35)
14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, 15 but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior
1 Peter 1:14-15 (NASB)
ETS: Peter was concerned that the believer’s life should have testified to their faith in God.
ESS: Believers should show God’s holiness in all their behavior.
OBJ: I hope you will (especially my men) take a personal inventory on your personal holiness.
PQ: What kind of man are you?
1. Men we used to be
2. Men to be used
TS: Let’s look at two types of men that we are probably looking like this morning:
I The first type of man is the man we used to be.
14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance
1. Someone once called a preacher to say he wanted to become a church member.
But, he went on to explain that he did not want to:
worship every week,
study the Bible,
visit the sick,
or serve as a leader or teacher.
The minister commended him for his desire to be a church member,
but told him the church he was looking for was located in another part of town.
The man wrote down the address and hung up.
When he arrived at that address, the man came face to face with the result of his own attitude of not wanting to be involved....
There stood an abandoned church building
and ready for demolition.
Peter told the early Christian not to let the world squeeze them into its own mold.
1. Before they became Christians, these men’s desires were the very thing that kept them from God in the first place.
1. What NASB translates as "lust", the NIV translates as "evil desires"
2. Lust frequently refers to evil desires, esp. in the areas of sex, greed, and violence
3. "...which were yours in your ignorance."
2. Peter’s saying, "Don’t do what you used to do before you knew better."
1. Once these men recognized their desires for what they really were (sin), it allowed them to understand God’s call in their lives.
2. Peter’s telling these guys to be in control over their desires rather than to be controlled by them. Don’t be the man you used to be!
2. Men, if you’re a Christian, be careful to avoid being the man you used to be.
1. There are at least three types of men:
1. Ladies Men (seek admiration/attention of women)
1. Dress to impress
2. Sexual fulfillment is the ladies’ man’s goal
3. Usually single, marriage does not necessarily convert the ladies’ man into a family man. (Many families have been destroyed because daddy couldn’t give up being a ladies’ man)
2. Men’s Men (The man’s man seeks the respect of other men)
1. Wants to be listened to, admired by, esteemed highly by men
2. Work hard-play hard
3. Firm without being pushy, compassionate without being sentimental, achiever, humble, takes responsibility for his own failures without making excuses.