Summary: Evidences of Being Stirred By The Spirit
Evidences of Being Stirred By The Spirit
I. The Spirit Stirs - Ez. 1
Cyrus the Great
d. 529 B.C., king of Persia, founder of ACHAEMENID power and the Persian empire. He conquered MEDIA between 559 and 549 B.C., Lydia (see CROESUS) in 546, and BABYLONIA in 538. In EGYPT he laid the basis for future Persian victories. Because he placed Jews in power in PALESTINE, creating a buffer state between Persia and Egypt, he is spoken of approvingly in the Old Testament, e.g., Dan. 6.28. He respected the religion and customs of each part of his empire.
Charter of the Rights of Nations
Inscribed on a clay cylinder in cuneiform
discovered in 1879 now in The British Museum, London.
... I am Cyrus. King of the world. When I entered Babylon... I did not allow anyone to terrorize the land... I kept in view the needs of people and all its sanctuaries to promote their well-being... I put an end to their misfortune. The Great God has delivered all the lands into my hand; the lands that I have made to dwell in a peaceful habitation...
He presented himself not as a conqueror, but a liberator and the legitimate successor to the crown
had the wisdom to leave unchanged the institution of each kingdom
1. King - v.1 Powerful - Babylon fell before him
2. fluence - v.2 Over all the earth -
3. Desire - v.2 - To build
4. Authority - v.3 - Let Him Go up to Jerusalem
5. Ability - Gave back their life - temple - v.3
6. Resource - v.7 - Example set -
II. The People Stirred
III. Evidences of Stirring - Lk. 4
1. Led - v. 1 - led by the Spirit
2. Tested - v. 2 - Tempted by the devil
3. Word Used - v. 4, 8,12 - It is written
4. World Refused - v. 8 - Get thee behind me Satan
5. God only Recognized - v.8 him only shall thou serve
6. Victory - v. 13 - he departed from him
7. Testimony Given - v. 18 - The Sp. of the Lord is upon me
8, Work begins - v. 18 - Preach Heal Liberate
IV. Are You Stirred?
- Constant stirring keeps you from sticking to the bottom
- Thus not burned or lumpy
- A delight