Summary: God can do an EXTREME Makeover in our lives!
• SLIDE #1
• There are a lot of popular televisions shows we watch. There is the whole CSI genre, Miami, NY, Navy, Cold Case, CSI Sierra Vista.
• We have the “talent show genre.” We have decoration shows, reality shows, but one of the genres that seem to have some amount of popularity is the makeover genre.
• These are the shows in which they take a person and make them a “new” person. In some of the makeover shows they take a house or a car and renovate it. The television is full of these types of shows. Ambush Makeover, What not to Wear, Trading Spaces, Extreme Makeover, 10 Years younger, Rides, Monster House, and one I used to watch, “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.”
• In Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, the crew usually goes to a family who is fallen on very hard times, and they come in and completely tear down and rebuild their home in something like seven days.
• When it is all said and done, the home is beautifully decorated and suited to the special needs of the home owner.
• I think the attraction of these shows is that we want to see someone be able to better themselves and we like to see a person who has not had too many good breaks receive a break for once.
• In the makeover shows, there is usually some expert or group of experts who all work together to make something better.
• God looked down and knew it was time for an extreme makeover and so He sent the expert, Jesus to cause some things to change.
• Let’s turn to 1 Peter 2:3-10 together.
• SLIDE #2
• 1 Peter 2:3-10(ESV) 3if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good. 4As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, 5you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6For it stands in Scripture: £“Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.” 7So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, £“The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,”£ 8and £“A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do. 9But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
• In the first part of God’s extreme makeover we see…
• SLIDE #3
I. GOD GAVE WORSHIP AN EXTREME MAKEOVER.
The Old Testament worship was producing an outward faith. God did not intend for worship to be this way, but that is what was happening.
Worship had a lot of external trappings, from the temple, to the items in the temple to the 10 Commandments which were turned into several hundred by the well-meaning religious leaders of the time.