Summary: In the show Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, they take a needy family and transform their less-than-desirable home into something magnificent. Today I want to talk about not a home makeover but a mind makeover. But, instead of Ty Pennington holding the bul
EXTREME MAKEOVER: MIND EDITION
INTRODUCTION: Have you ever seen the show, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition? They take a needy family and transform their less-than-desirable home into something magnificent. Today I want to talk about not a home makeover but a mind makeover. But, instead of Ty Pennington holding the bullhorn it will be God. He wants to transform your less-than-desirable mind into something magnificent.
1) Why do we need a mind makeover?
• Because our minds are blind. 2nd Cor. 4:4, “The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.” Satan’s purpose is to try to keep us from comprehending the love of God and the message of salvation through Christ. Therefore, Part of the transformation that needs to take place is to remove the blindness from our minds so we can understand and grasp the gospel.
• Because our thinking is futile. Eph. 4:17-19. Some synonyms for ‘futile’ are useless, pointless, fruitless, unsuccessful, vain, ineffective and wasted. This is what our thinking is apart from the renewal process. ‘…darkened in their understanding’ (blind minds). Their ignorance is due not to an opportunity to understand but because of their hardened hearts. They are no longer sensitive and therefore have made a decision to devote themselves to their depravity. Paul dealt with the same problem in Rome. Romans 1:18-25. Because of their consistent futile thinking, God gave them over to their depraved minds. Our minds need to be renewed because our minds are immoral and our thinking is futile.
• Because we have our minds set on worldly things. Romans 8:5-6. Our minds are set on fulfilling our selfish desires. Without Christ we live according to our sinful nature. Before I surrendered to the Lordship of Christ I did what I wanted to do. My mind wasn’t focused on the will of God it was focused on the will of Derrick. But we need to be aware of the fact that a mind controlled by sin means death while a mind controlled by the Holy Spirit means life. If we are going to live according to the Spirit and have our minds set on the desires of the Holy Spirit then we need to have a mind makeover.
• Because our minds are corrupt. Titus 1:15, “To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.” Some synonyms for ‘corrupt’ are dishonest, crooked, shady and fraudulent. This is what our minds are apart from being renewed. ‘Pure’ is listed as an antonym or opposite of corrupt. If my mind is pure then it’s clean, wholesome and unpolluted; renewed.
• Because we are God’s enemies. Col. 1:21, “Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior.” It was hard for me to accept that I was God’s enemy. I wasn’t purposely trying to undermine what he stood for; I just wasn’t committed to him. However, we need to understand that there are only two sides to be on-for or against, there’s no neutral ground. James 4:4 says that friendship with the world is hatred towards God. My behavior was unholy; evil. Therefore, I was God’s enemy. My mind was conformed to the world, it thought worldly thoughts. Romans 8:7, “The sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law nor can it do so.” Our minds need to be renewed so we are no longer a hateful, hostile enemy of God.