Summary: How hard is it for you to not seek revenge when another person does you wrong? Jesus tells us in Matt.5:38-42 that we are to Love More, Give More, Do More, and Trust More, are you willing to take a stand for the kingdom of God?
Eye for an Eye
Intro: Review the Sermon on the Mount
Revenge = Getting even
Scripture: Matthew 5:38-42
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
Many of you might have this question; how do we apply Biblical principles in situations like this?” I hope to answer that today.
The OT says do not murder and people were put to death for
- Working on the Sabbath
- Homosexual behavior
- Murdering someone
But how can Jesus say he comes to fulfill the law then somewhat change the wording? First off he doesn’t change it, all these things in the OT we hear about were made by the government, for the government, just like today if someone gets prison time, the government sentences them, not us, even though the action might have been towards us. We simply can’t go around hurting those who hurt our loved ones, why? Because we don’t hold that power, I REPEAT WE DON’T HOLD THAT POWER! GOD DOES!
Repeat (v.39) FIRST THING:
- To answer that question; Jesus wasn’t speaking to the government; he was talking to the people who obey the government telling them not to retaliate when someone harms us.
You might be someone who says, I don’t retaliate! Let’s see…..
1. If someone cuts you off do you get mad and want that person to know what they did?
2. If someone talks bad about you at work, so you start a rumor or share a secret with someone who you know won’t keep their mouth shut?
3. How about if one of your family members or friends does you wrong so you go tell everyone so that they might get mad at them.
4. If they attack us, let’s blow up their country! That’s the governments job, they know!
5. Here’s a big one, when someone at church does you wrong, you go tell the pastor! I’ve seen this before; here’s a quote;
“I don’t think the Satan uses the world anymore because he has our family and church.”
All these things are retaliation.
Let’s keep going with (v.39)
I. Love More:
Jesus tells us to OVERCOME REVENGE! But how?
Being slapped in Jesus' day was to be insulting; to girls especially, so when he says turn the other cheek, he’s simply saying don’t retaliate, for I am with you;
Christians constantly get insulted, and we get mad right!
George Bush “Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution” Jesus is telling us how to resolve it. It’s not hard I know!
Matthew 10:22 “You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.” Amen right?
II. Give More (v.40):
Your shirt and coat are something that many have but for some like the Jews, they had one of many things, so to be sued for your shirt and you show up with your shirt and your coat you are giving them more than they asked for. If someone is suing you and you give them more, they don’t feel like they won even though they won the case, because they didn’t beat you. (Follow me.)