Summary: Too many neglect the Revelation because of ’all-kinds’ of reasons, yet it is the book which "Unveils" our Lord in His divinity. This message calls us to view this book with OPENED EYES.
Eyes Wide Open
* Have you ever felt neglected? Felt like you had something to offer & never given the opportunity?
* In the 21st century, it would seem that Revelation is the one Bible book which receives that kind of treatment. Years ago, all we heard about was the Book of Revelation and that Jesus was coming again. Over the past 20 years of preaching, many fellow preachers tell me that they will not preach beyond chapter 3 of this book. There are many reasons for this. (I.E. opinions as weird, strange, symbolic, literal, dispensational, etc). Some will even term it as “frightening.” Whatever the reason, we ignore this book.
* Let’s begin a walk-through of the Revelation, seeing it like our Lord would have us view it. In it, the true born-again, child of God should receive it as encouraging, motivating, & a reminder of the “WHO” of our lives. This message is entitle “EYES WIDE OPEN” because too many for too long have attempted to walk the Christian life with their eyes shut to end time things. In fact, the only time we even consider that this world is on a collision course with the Almighty is after a storm or some ‘well-meaning but misguided’ individual makes a prediction which we can know NOT to be true. Let’s open our eyes to see, our ears to hear, & minds to know.(READ)
* Dr. Alton Butler was the last pastor that I worked with as a music minister. He and I were always teasing one another. One day I walked into the office went to my message box and found a newspaper article which said, “The World to End March 31, 1991 (A local group in Australia).” Attached to the article was this note, “Thought you may want to put this on your calendar.”
* I submit that, while some of the ‘revelations in Revelation’ has to do with how God will ultimately judge the world, to only see that message is to miss the wonders and the impetus of the closing book in God’s word.
* The very reason so many have ‘guessed’ WRONGLY about the end of the world & the second coming of Christ is because that God tells us in His word that no one will know (I.E. Matt 24:36, 24:44, 1 Thessalonians 5:2, 2 Peter 3:10). Candidly, NO ONE KNOWS when, but we know He Is coming and in God’s time table- the time is close at hand!
* Studying Revelation can reclaim, restore, refresh, & even can restart a life.
* Remember that the disciple John was chosen by the Lord to pen this ‘revelation’. Not only that, but God chose the circumstances from which John would write. John was in isolation on the Island of Patmos & he begins this writing with a lot of helpful information which assists you & me in understanding the end times. (Focus on four simple thoughts)
1. The Person – The biggest mistake made in looking at Revelation is to see the ‘stuff’ & miss the ‘savior.’ He is the person about whom the entire book is about. In verse 1 John begins with “The Revelation of Jesus Christ.” The word revelation literally is ‘apolkalupsis’ which means unveiling, disclosure, appearing, and coming. It all about Jesus. The gospels give us the human account of Jesus while this book ‘reveals’ Him.
* In the gospels He is crucified & in the revelation He is crowned
* In the gospels He is martyred & in the revelation He is majesty
* In the gospels He is suffering servant & in the revelation He is sovereign king
* In the gospels He is lamb & in the revelation He is lion
* This book we call “The Revelation” reveals or unveils Jesus, in His divinity not His humanity. We see Him in light of who HE REALLY IS.
* Instead of seeing the seals-see the savior, the trumpets-see the truth, the bowl judgment-see the blessedness of Him, and instead of the ‘mark of the beast-see the mark of the blessed. Jesus has been in control, is in control, & remains in control throughout eternity.
* This is testified to by God’s Word about Jesus. John 1 (same writer) says, “In the beginning was the word, the word was with God, and the word was God. He (Jesus) was with God in the beginning. All things were created through HIM (Jesus), and apart from Him NOT ONE THING was created that has been created. Life was in Him, and that life was the light of men. That light (Jesus) shines in the darkness, yet the darkness did not overcome it.” The testimony about Jesus is totally tied to God’s word.
* It is also tied to the things John saw. Think about why God might have chosen John to reveal all this prophecy to. John had witnessed Jesus’ life & ministry first hand. He was there when Jesus taught the multitude and was they at the feeding of the 5000. He was there when Jesus raised the dead and healed the sick. John was there when Jesus was abused, crucified, and died. He was the only disciple who is named as being at the cross. But John was also presence when Jesus divested Himself of humanity and was transfigured into deity. What a sight!