Summary: Too many neglect the Revelation because of ’all-kinds’ of reasons, yet it is the book which "Unveils" our Lord in His divinity. This message calls us to view this book with OPENED EYES.
Eyes Wide Open
* Have you ever felt neglected? Felt like you had something to offer & never given the opportunity?
* In the 21st century, it would seem that Revelation is the one Bible book which receives that kind of treatment. Years ago, all we heard about was the Book of Revelation and that Jesus was coming again. Over the past 20 years of preaching, many fellow preachers tell me that they will not preach beyond chapter 3 of this book. There are many reasons for this. (I.E. opinions as weird, strange, symbolic, literal, dispensational, etc). Some will even term it as “frightening.” Whatever the reason, we ignore this book.
* Let’s begin a walk-through of the Revelation, seeing it like our Lord would have us view it. In it, the true born-again, child of God should receive it as encouraging, motivating, & a reminder of the “WHO” of our lives. This message is entitle “EYES WIDE OPEN” because too many for too long have attempted to walk the Christian life with their eyes shut to end time things. In fact, the only time we even consider that this world is on a collision course with the Almighty is after a storm or some ‘well-meaning but misguided’ individual makes a prediction which we can know NOT to be true. Let’s open our eyes to see, our ears to hear, & minds to know.(READ)
* Dr. Alton Butler was the last pastor that I worked with as a music minister. He and I were always teasing one another. One day I walked into the office went to my message box and found a newspaper article which said, “The World to End March 31, 1991 (A local group in Australia).” Attached to the article was this note, “Thought you may want to put this on your calendar.”
* I submit that, while some of the ‘revelations in Revelation’ has to do with how God will ultimately judge the world, to only see that message is to miss the wonders and the impetus of the closing book in God’s word.
* The very reason so many have ‘guessed’ WRONGLY about the end of the world & the second coming of Christ is because that God tells us in His word that no one will know (I.E. Matt 24:36, 24:44, 1 Thessalonians 5:2, 2 Peter 3:10). Candidly, NO ONE KNOWS when, but we know He Is coming and in God’s time table- the time is close at hand!
* Studying Revelation can reclaim, restore, refresh, & even can restart a life.
* Remember that the disciple John was chosen by the Lord to pen this ‘revelation’. Not only that, but God chose the circumstances from which John would write. John was in isolation on the Island of Patmos & he begins this writing with a lot of helpful information which assists you & me in understanding the end times. (Focus on four simple thoughts)
1. The Person – The biggest mistake made in looking at Revelation is to see the ‘stuff’ & miss the ‘savior.’ He is the person about whom the entire book is about. In verse 1 John begins with “The Revelation of Jesus Christ.” The word revelation literally is ‘apolkalupsis’ which means unveiling, disclosure, appearing, and coming. It all about Jesus. The gospels give us the human account of Jesus while this book ‘reveals’ Him.